Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

intake gaskets

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tabb, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Tabb

Tabb ROLL TIDE! AGAIN! GMOTM Winner

The lower intake gasket is leaking from the back of my friends 98 350 motor,I'm planning on helping him with this, I've done a few 3.1 & 3.4 GM intakes before, but I have not done one of these before. I have gotten some info about removal & istallation, about 15 pages worth, it looks pretty intimidating, I think we have all the tools to get it done.
    My question is this, is there anything else that I need to look for that may need to be replaced other than the thermostat, my friend replaced that last week. The gasket kit comes with upper & lower intake gaskets & valve cover gaskets, rtv sealant. Any help on this would great. thanks.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

unplug all wires / hoses / lines. remove dist after marking position vary well as you need a good scanner or gm tech scanner to reset timming. then remove 8 lower intake bolts only. no need to remove upper stuff. also need to loosen up all the mounting bolts on the driver side for the serp belt drive bracket. as the intake wont clean if still bolted down and cant get the bolt with it in the way also. dont need to remove it tho, just loosen and pry to front of truck till you can snake it by. then pop off intake like normal. clean all up rtv 1/8 thick at end seal areas. dont forget the 11 ft-lb spec on the 8 bolts. i think thats correct. cant recall now.

basicly the same but newwer stuff.

3. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

also I dont use the end gaskets I just put a nice 1/8-1/4"bead of rtv on both ends and let it sit for about 15 mins before I put the intake back on.I also put rtv around the water passages on the heads.

4. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

I do the same thing as him^^^^

5. Tabb

Tabb ROLL TIDE! AGAIN! GMOTM Winner

Thanks guys, I just got the intake out.Your info really helped,if I had went with the procedure that AllData had listed, I would still be trying to remove the p.s.pump and mounting bracket.I pulled the bracket forward and got that intake bolt. I actually had more trouble with the main wiring harness around the right rear corner with the ign. coil and brackets. Its not too bad in there, most of the coolant leaked out instead of in. Should have it all back together soon and do the oil change.