Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

intake in cab

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Janitorjim8, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

has anyone here brought there air intake tube into their cab, if so where in the cab does it come through. I am thinking i want to make one so it comes in either right over the trans tunnel or by the passenger side, i just dont want to relocate to much of the heater/air conditioner units. Its a 1991 k5. If i did this id probably make two different intake unit things, one id just leave inthe back until i go mudding then bring it through the cab, the other just would work like normal

2. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ive seen guys put it out of the glove box and right above the glove box in the dash.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my buddy put his threw the heater box, he pulled everything out though and covered it with sheetmetal. sealed it up with that expanding foam stuff. he would have to keep a window cracked, otherwords it would pop your ears at WOT.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Gonna be loud.

May or may not matter.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

REAL LOUD!!!
    Pray for no backfires.

6. JSH

JSH Registered Member

Definitely keep the windows cracked, otherwise it may draw all of the oxygen out of the cab and you would pass out. :wink1: :D . I bet it would be really loud.

7. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i did mine that way. it isn't that luod i had a mildly built 350. u can hear it drawing the air in. i run w/ no top on a 75 k5, so i don't know about the passing out comment.

i ran mine in above the distributer. below the cowl. i had a 3" body lift at the time so there was enough room. i then put a 90 degree elbow on it & ran it up above the glove box. & put a k&n cone filter from a 91 mustang on it. there is enough room above the glove box that it wasn't a problem. when it backfired it was loud but not deafaning. the only problem was it kinda choked down the engine compared to running an open element standard filter. i used 3" pvc for mine.

8. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

can anyone tell me why you would do this?

9. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

you would do it to prevent your engine from hydrolocking. If i did it im thinking of 2 different set ups, normal then this for muddin, because this is also my daily driver.

10. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

You nean when a well-designed external snorkel does a fine job of keeping water out of the induction system? I have no idea. :dunno: Of all the military vehicles I'd ever been in, none of the water-fording-enhanced intake systems ever pulled air from the crew compartment for use in combustion - they used a snorkel or other high mounted intake.

You wouldn't need to buy a pricey snorkel kit; you could fab a sturdy one up in the driveway.

Otherwise, one backfire would make things in the cab very interesting.

11. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

I use a snorkel, but never heard of this way. Learn something new everyday.

12. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Guys run them inside so in the event of a roll or a brush with a tree, they still have a filtered induction system, although with ARB's snorkel, the filter is still under the hood. Having it in the cab allows guaranteed cold air, assures no damage, the air is sometimes cleaner, and you definitely know the water level/intake level.