Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Intake Issues?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy305, May 8, 2006.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I finally installed my new intake manifold on my 305 yesterday. It is the Weiand Action+ with a 2in carb spacer. Wow what a difference the thing makes in throttle responce and power. I swear I gained 25hp over the stock manifold. The thing pulls real hard from about idle to 5200rpm. The only issues I am having with it is that the throttle bracket is not in the right place so the throttle cable is not long enough by 1/2 cm. So the cable puts on the throttle a little so it stays at 1200rpm at idle. I am having a new bracket from JEGS overnighted to me.
    My other problem is that I developed a massive oil leak somewhere towards the back of the block. I thought it was valve covers, but unforunately it wasn't. I think it might be from the back of the intake, but I thought that any leaks on the manifold would cause a vacuum leak and not spew oil all over? I didn't use the little rubber pieces there, I used a nice bead of black RTV. So what are your thoughts?

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  2. Chevy305

3. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Most likely your distributor gasket. I had the same exact problem when I replaced my intake gasket. I replaced my valve cover gaskets and that still didn't solve it. So I felt around back there and it was leaking right out of the distributor gasket.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

maybe not enough RTV used. Leak of the crank case will negate any vacuum put on it by the PCV. So I'd pull it and redo the RTV job. Lose the 2" spacer man. Why have it? You have a torquey manifold with a piece designed to raise the powerband in the RPM range. If you insist on an open spacer go down to a 1" and your throttle will probably be long enoug.

5. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

You are leaking from the rear of the intake manifold.

6. Chevy305

I discovered that it was not the distributor gasket, but it was the rear of the manifold. I couldn't take the manifold off tonight for lack of time, so I put a glob a RTV on the back of the manifold and it seemed to help it. Not a perminate fix but at least it is not leaking all over my exhaust now. This whole month I am really busy so I am not sure when I can get to it to do it correctly.

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

hmm i have done stuff like that.. will fix it later.... 4 years later im like... WTH!!!!!! :haha:

yeah that sucks ya gotta pull it all back apart.. I just put a weiand power+ on my truck.... we also only had the gaskets that goto the heads.... and you use a big glob of rtv in front and back of the intake.... makes ya hope ya put a big enough glob

I wonder what the difference is between the action+ and power+

also you bought from Jeggs.... did ya pay $200+???

I found an awesome site for intakes
    got mine for $120 to my door!!!!! :bow:
    but they dont have the action+
    http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/category.asp?CtgID=7753

8. Chevy305

9. RootBreaker

cool... yeah maybe that mine is a vortec is why it is a power+... I dunno what the difference on the 2 are..... I had to plug 3 of the water jackets too.... sucks... 2x$10 chrome plug kits... it is the $20 here, $20 there, $10 here that gets ya on these engine builds :haha:

10. Chevy305

So true! When I did my suspention I spent about $250 in bolts, accessories, and grinding wheels.

11. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Cool, I just found out that my oil leak is coming from the back of the intake :( That aggravates me. All that hard work, and now it has to be completely redone because I screwed it up. Oh well, at least the shop got it back in time...

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

well lets see... manufacturer would be a good clue... his is Weiand, yours is a Professional Products intake. :rolleyes:

13. Chevy305

Yeah the oil dripping from the engine has already started to mess up the pavement on my driveway. :crazy:
    So as a temp fix, I put an old cookie baking sheet under it to catch as much oil as possible.

What gaskets do you guys recomend for intakes?
    I have these on now:
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MRG%2D5822&N=0&autoview=sku

Oh, can you refresh my memory? You turn the distributor clockwise to advance it right?

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

go to your local parts store, and pick up whatever they have on hand.

15. RootBreaker

x2 im running felpro from autozone

16. Chevy305

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

dont screw with ordering intake gaskets from Summit, go to your local auto parts store, and buy whatever they stock. there's no advantage over stock with the Mr Gasket gaskets.

you are correct with the dizzy question.

18. Chevy305

Oh, question about the heat crossover thingy. My heads have it and my intake does too, but just wondering what it does exactly. And do I need it?

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd keep it..

Those heat passages direct exhaust gases under the intake, to warm up the carb or throttle body..

I'd not block them off here in MA,unless you like carb or TBI icing in cool damp weather ..it'll stall,idle crappy,and guzzle gas like crazy if the intake doesn't get hot enough to vaporize the fuel,until its been run 20 minutes or more....some guys block them off,claiming more HP due to the cooler incoming fuel air mixture..it does work,but at the expense of street driveability,and fuel economy..:crazy:

Oh,and last time I advanced the timing on a SBC,I had to turn the distributor counter-clockwise...the distributor shaft rotates clockwise,and you have to turn the housing in the opposite direction of its rotation to advance the timing...:smirk:

20. RootBreaker

I did this today too.. got my timing light out.... counter clockwise to raise and clockwise to lower.....:wink1: