Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Intake Manifold Cooking

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Polaris, May 22, 2003.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I plan to try it for the first time tomorrow. We drive an hour and a half to our campsite for a weekend of wheeling. I think the kids will get a kick out of cooking on the engine. Any tips/tricks/recipes from those who have done it before? Thanks!

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

stick some potatoes wrapped in foil in there before you leave.. you get baked potatoes. i've never done it or know if it'll cook long enough, just a though i had

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Pack the carb full of lil smokies and BBQ sauce.....It'll completely destroy your engine but MMMMMmmmmm MMMMMmmmmm.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Great idea /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    Oh wait, I don't have a carb. Those things suck! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used to drive a farm truck. I would make corn on the cob and baked potatoes. The potatoes take a few hours and you have to flip them over so they cook. To make the corn: put the corn in a ziploc bag and add a cup of water, wrap in tin foil and poke a small hole in the bag. Works great.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Whatever you decide to have as road-food, you'll need to stop every now and then to turn the cookin's.

7. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

We used to do it in the Army all the time.

Your best bet is to pre-cook whatever you want to eat, it will be ready to eat much sooner. Slices of ham, steak or fish work great. Pre-baked (or boiled) potatoes are also really easy. You just need to make sure you add lots of moisture to the mix to keep it from drying out.

If you start from scratch then just put some carrots, onions, potatoes, meat and some seasoning on a sheet of HEAVY DUTY aluminum foil. Make sure you put plenty of butter/ margerine in there and fold up the corners and seal it on top. Put at least one or two more layers of foil over it (make sure you seal it on the top so it won't leak) and find a nice spot on your manifold to let it sit.

You may want to create some kind of wind block to shield it from the fan and keep the heat inside.

After you do it a few times you will get a better idea of how long it takes to cook. Make sure you check it regularly until you figure out cooking times.

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Hot food is really over-rated /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Just get you a box of MRE's and some Tabasco /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

John

9. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hot food is really over-rated /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Just get you a box of MRE's and some Tabasco /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

John

[/ QUOTE ]

Even MRE's come with a heater!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang spoiled rotten Pepsi generation /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Back in the good old days /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, that wasn't the case. What a bunch of sissy's /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

John

11. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

As intake manifold eats go,I like burritos.

I git those frozen ones that are 3 or 4 for a buck,wrap them in foil and toss em on the intake for about a half hour /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang spoiled rotten Pepsi generation /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Back in the good old days /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, that wasn't the case. What a bunch of sissy's /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

John

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I never had the chance to use any of those new fangled heater packs but they sure would have been nice. Some of those old rations were only edible (but just barely) if you warmed them up.

These days the MRE's are actually not too bad. Some of them are pretty tasty but you still hear some people complain about them.

Spoiled rotten snot noses. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

John

[/ QUOTE ]
    No thanks ... I just left Iraq last month and I never want to see another MRE as long as I live. they are OK once in a while but not for a month and a half straight [​IMG]

14. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

We use to do that on vacation.
    Pizza burgers (hamberger meat (pre-cooked), pizza sauce and cheese on a bun)
    Hot ham n cheese

Make them, wrap in aluminum foil (a couple of layers)
    stick them in the cooler till your about 15 minutes out from where you want to eat, throw them on and when you get there your ready to eat! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Thanks; that is more of what I was looking for was times to cook things. I picked up chicken to slice thin and put with veggies & Alfredo sauce. I'll get burritos for the kids. I don't know if there is a chance of overcooking the stuff is what concerns me. I have roughly an hour and a half of highway driving to the campground.

16. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I've done burritos, hot dogs (wrap wiener in bun, wrap that with slightly damp paper towel and then foil or just put the wieners in foil with some water), my potatoes never cook unless they're cut up, corn dogs.

You can also wrap bacon around your exhaust or put a trout on the tailpipe and it'll cook. of course the fish was done to a friend's Scout as a joke .. took him forever to figureout what that smell was.

17. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

When I am out wheel'n I sometimes just put a can of soup/stew on the intake. In 15-30min it is good to go.

I have done some simple stew's that I made as well.

If it is pre cooked it doesn't take that long to just warm it up.

If you are going to do some non-pre-cooked meals they take a while.

Just think of cooking on your motor like crockpot. You almost can't burn stuff. The longest I have left stew on the manifold is about 6 hours (I have a 160deg thermostat).

If you really want to get into it you might want to try and find a old copy of Manifold Destiny: The One, the Only, Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine!

I think it has been out of print for a while.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0375751408/qid%3D904512153/sr%3D1-1/102-6370565-3080926

18. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Excellent advice. Thank you. What I ended up doing was slicing chicken breasts thinly and putting them in the microwave for a few minutes so they were *almost* cooked. I partially thawed a bag of frozen veggies & alfredo sauce and added that. Wrapped it in 3 separate layers of foil and off we went. We had a nice hot supper when we got there. The vegetables were perfectly done! The only thing was I hadn't made enough to fill up the whole family, so next time I'll double it and use hubby's truck too!

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe, but no real ground pounder worth his salt would use the heater... I mean its great when ur in the rear with the gear (army?) but when ur in a combat zone do you really wanna be the big hot spot in the enemies IR scope? LOL! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

20. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

slice up some potatoes, carrots and onions and pack them in tinfoil with some raw regular hamburger.