Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Intake Manifold Gasket..what is the secret? Please help.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Sep 7, 2003.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have a 383 with a edelbrock performer(newer) manifold. I have changed the intake manifold gasket 3 times in six months with Very little driving. What gives? I am using the felpros. I keep getting coolant in oil. Runs fine for a while then starts to leak after a couple of months. I have tried putting Rtv around the coolant ports(thin), tried without(let felpro seal it), and again last night did the same.

What would cause this? The bolts were tight when I changed last night so it was not due to loose bolts. I am afraid to start up this morning just to have it happen again. Its not the head since it fixes everytime I change the gaskets.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

if your heads or block where milled, don't use the end gaskets. just run a nice bead of RTV. that gap will be closer than what the end gaskets are made for, causing leaks at the port/coolant gaskets on the sides.

hope that helps /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

gee ryoken, I am thinking your the only one around lately to answer my questions...anyways yeah, I use rtv for the ends and that part never leaks, but geez this is getting ridiculous.

by the way, i just moved our here from northern NJ.

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Any chance you have a worped manifold?
    Has the manifold done this ever since you got it?
    It could have been milled wrong. just a thought.
    Are they Vortec heads? If not, I always use Permitex High Tack on mine and they never leak.

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i had this happen to an engine...but it wasnt coolant it was sucking....it was oil. it was sucking oil from the lifter galley directly into the chamber and burnin it causin my engine to foul plugs and barely even run. i dont really know n e thing else other than trying soe different gaskets.

NITRO

6. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

well, i replaced a warped manifold(old performer) with this one and it didn't leak for about a month the first time. I may need to try the hi-tack stuff eventually. Since it is all together now, i don't want to take it apart, but I will need to fix if it does it again(and by history, it will).
    I saw in an old post that you should not use the felpro blues with an edelbrock manifold....but many people use them with success. I think I am going to super glue it on next time(kidding).

thanks...just one of those frustrating things we all go through for the love of it.

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i remember your posts about moving /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif not sure how smart it is for me to get back into the lifted trucks being here in Jersey, but i missed having one. figure if i keep it at 5" of lift and 35's i hopefully wont get hassled much.

anyway, i assume your torquing in proper sequence, etc... how quickly does this develop after you do gaskets? 50 miles or 500? although you said it was newer, i would drag a flat file over the ends of the intake where the water jackets are just to make sure your surface is true. couple of passes will show you any high/low spots...

common prob in marine stuff i see everyday is guys just cleaning up surfaces with Roloc conditioning discs and not actually checking surfaces to see if they're true... i had one guy waste 3 $16k big blocks (water injestion) till he called me, milled his exhaust flanges, hasn't had a prob since...

hope Cali is treating you good and good luck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. FWP

FWP CRS

Try using Felpro 1256 gaskets. They will seal. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I gave up on Fel-Pro intake gaskets about 10 yrs ago after going through the same thing that you are going through now. I fixed my problem with GM intake gaskets. They are priced similar to Fel-Pro. The gaskets are made by Victor-Reinz, which are also available at Car Quest stores but they have a black coating on them (doesn't seem to affect sealing) and cost about the same as the GM gaskets do. I went through several(!) sets of Fel-Pro gaskets on a bone-stock motor, trying the same things you did (RTV etc), but they didn't seal, so I got whizzed, called GM and installed an OE set, and I haven't touched the intake in 9 or 10 years now. I have told many people about this over the years and got told everything I was doing wrong, but I installed the GM gaskets in the same manner and they haven't leaked a drop.
    Good Luck,
    Nick

10. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i agree with mosesburb, i had problems with my intake seal until i bought a GM part. havent touched it since. make sure you're torquing it correctly too, you can easily overtorque an aluminum intake and cause it to leak, i know on mine when its down to specs it barely feels like its tight at all.....but thats just because the alumnium expands a lot once its warm, too tight and it wont be able to expand correctly and warp it.

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I think I am going to super glue it on next time(kidding).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, WELD IT! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif