Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

intake manifold how to...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kelboski, Aug 17, 2000.

1. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

could someone give me the skinny, on how to install a new intake manifold. i read Balzer's post, and now i'm interested in putting an edlebrock one on my 84. i pull a ski boat alot, so the low end torque is important to me.....2 things...where and what exact intake manifold to buy....305 w/ 4 barrel rochester....and how to put it on. is there anything i need to buy extra for the install...like gasket seal...ect?
    i guess that was 3 things...anyway...thanks
    Kelboski

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Edelbrock performer w/egr provisions. Tube of rtv manifold might come with small tube but would buy more. Anti-freeeze, would also put in new t-stat, may also need various pipe plugs. Manifold will come with instructions also would buy chiltons or haynes manual. All of this can be bought at autozone or pep boys. Also will need intake gaskets.

3. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

thanks DMK, what kind of torque improvements will it give me?
    Kelboski

4. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    Also when you do the Intake gasket just use the side ones for the heads, DON'T use the rubber ones that go in the front and back! instead lay down a thick layer of RTV and let it skin then install the intake. Those rubber ones get sucked in or pushed out, and will give you a intake leak. At least that has been my experience.

5. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Well DMK and Scobby are right, and it is pretty straight forward. It sounds like you're at a novice level with the wrenches, so I should also point out, that you'll have to pull the distributor. My advice is be very careful
    marking what position the rotor is at, or you're going to create more work for yourself in terms of setting the timing or just getting the engine to fire up. Another thing, find out at what torque the bolts need to be tightened to and get yourself a torque wrench. Remember that coolant flows through the manifold and you don't want a leak getting into the lifter valley or heads. You'll also want to put a small bead of silicone on the gaskets around the water passages. Once your at it, I recommend a 1 inch plastic carb spacer. It isolates the carb from heat from the manifold and helps the flow a bit. They're really cheap. If you have any questions about the manifold, pick up a copy of "How to rebuild a small block V8" at Pep Boys and check out the section where they put the manifold back on, good luck.

6. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

everything here so far is correct but be sure that when you purchase the intake and gaskets specify that you want the Fel-Pro performance intake manifold gasket set, this is the one that is recommended by Edelbrock for their intakes because some of them come from the factory with tolarances that arent exactly flat.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

7. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

does my 84 have an egr valve?...that makes a difference in which intake you but correct?????..i had a 90k5, so my 84 is new to me, that is why i'm asking
    thanks..Kelboski

8. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Ahhh remember the 80's lot's of emission equipment so chances are you have an entire list of emission stuff that us older guys don't. Get the chiltons or haynes manual they have pictures of all the "stuff" under the hood and also step by step instructions. When you get ready to take off the distributor take the cap off and draw a diagram that shows where the tip of the rotor is pointing to. This is extremely important. Also don't turn the engine over while the distrib is out. Not only will your mark be useless and cause you some head aches the oil pump won't spin. Also you need to make a mark like between the fire wall and the distributor cap (this is to get the timing close when putting it back together). I also agree don't use the rubber gaskets, they are crap and usually leak. One more thing: Take the truck to the car wash and use the pressure to clean the area around the intake, but be careful not to spray your lines off. This will minimize the dirt that falls down into the lifter valley when you pull off the intake. There are a thousand other little things we could tell you but if you follow the manual and these few hints you should be ok.

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

9. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

thanks dumbfounded....i went buy discount auto today, and they quoted me for an edlebrock intake costing $110....is that a good price?
    thanks again for the info..Kelboski