Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

intake manifold problems again!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 76blazerguy, Mar 20, 2005.

1. 76blazerguy

76blazerguy 1/2 ton status

Ok. well things are going ok i guess its been 2days since i started this little project but i have been painting most of the brackets and my valve covers so im not really rushing into things. I finally got everything off of the manifold today and i only have 2 bolts left, the only problem is i cant get these bolts off at all. Its on a 350 and its a stock manifold getting replaced for a crosswind. The bolts are the 2 middle ones on either side of the manifold at the back of the carb. Help!!!! i have tried using different sockets, extensions, ujoint sockets or whatever theyre called and even my wrench's wont work. I just cant get the leverage with the small sockets and there is no space for the others. Anyone have an idea

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Whenever I can't get the leverage on a bolt I usually get a pipe-(end of my floor jack) or the biggest wrench I have and slip it over the end of the ratchet to get a better pull on it.

3. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Try taking off the carb:dunno:

4. 76blazerguy

76blazerguy 1/2 ton status

after using a breaker bar and the carb already being took off it still wouldnt budge. Thanks for the jack idea, it took my friend pulling on that while my fingers on the bolt keeping it on and it cracked and came off. Thanks guys, that bolt had took me most of the afternoon, the next problem was getting this 29yearold manifold off. I dont think its ever been off. Out came a BFHammer. I also noticed how heavy this manifold is compared to the crosswind i just bought.
    Anyway thanks again

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Yeah, they are REALLY heavy. A whole lotta cast iron.