Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Intake Manifold Recomm. for TBI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bluehen, Apr 22, 2006.

1. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

WAIT! Don't Persecute me. :crazy:
    I've read the "School me on manifolds" and did extensive searching. There are way too many results for: TBI intake manifold replacement. I got frustrated at page - who knows my eyes were crossed.

I have an 87 with TBI. The stock intake manifold is leaking and I would just assume upgrade if I have to take it off. I haven't seen much for intake manifolds supporting tbi and egr. I've read on cfmtech. that they sell and seem to like an adapter for tbi to 4bbl manifold. I wanted to tap the knowledge base here for recommendations on aftermarket manifolds designed for tbi or if there is no prob with using the adapter.

Thanks for your help...

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

If you plan on retaining your stock TBI body I'd say go with Edelbrock's TBI manifold for simplicity.

If you buy a high flow TBI body then go with the 2" bore aftermarket manifold.

There is also the vortec head option. Put on some Vortec heads and get one of the new vortec TBI manifolds they have come out with.

3. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, that's right. I forgot to say that I'm currently running the Holley TBI and that I called Holley and they don't recommend their manifold for street use. Good call with the Vortec heads, but I can't drop that much coinage yet.

Edelbrock huh... thanks

Any other opinions?

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

If your running the Holley TBI with 2" bores then double check the Edelbrock manifold bore size. I believe the bores are smaller than 2".

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

edelbrock has the same bore size as the stock manifold, you just keep using the gasket/adapter thats supplied with the Holley TBI

holley makes a TBI manifold that has 2" bore, but no EGR, maybe thats why they dont reccomend it.

i'd go with the edelbrock

6. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a Edlebrock and I like it

7. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you go with Vortec head setup, does the ECM handle it OK?

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

No. You need a new chip cuz the heads flow more than the stock chip can handle.
    About the manifold. As said in other post use the Edelbrock manifold for simplicity. Its plug ansd play. The adapter plates work ok as long as you use a manifold that has EGR provsion. But sometimes there are problems with the linkage for the throttle and 700R4 trans. you may have to do some adapting to get the linkage to work right.

While you have the manifold off why not throw in a new cam too? Edelbrock makes a cam that works real well with their manifold. It is not as agressive as some people on here like. But it is an excellent all around truck cam and works well with the stock chip.

9. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

I have the holley tbi and 2 inch manifold with the egr but I had to buy an adapter plate from edelbrock to get my holley manifold to fit my egr:screwy: .

The manifolds holley makes just don't burn as clean as a stocker... egr or not. I ended up screwing myself and now I'll probably end up swapping in a stock motor to pass smog every 2 years... I don't really care... but it would be nice to not have to do that.