Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Intake manifold sealing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigcat44, Apr 3, 2005.

1. bigcat44

bigcat44 Registered Member

I spent the better part of yesterday and today replacing my stock TBI intake manifold with a new Edelbrock Performer. I used the Fel-pro gasket set for the sides and various components and used some permatex (I think) glue for the front and rear...fired it up and it leaks from the back. Should I be using a different sealant or gasket set? I am going to be pulling it and re-sealing it next weekend so I figured I would get some better advice on this! The leak (coolant) is coming from the back corner. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Coolant from back corner? Did you gouge the intake, head, or gasket? Never seen a leak back there. I always use FelPro gaskets and never use rubber end seals(always RTV the rails) so sounds like you did everything right to me.

Doh just thought of something, did you put RTV on your heads to keep the intake gaskets from sliding?

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

1st time i did one it leaked back there. took it apart amd used the rubber seals, and it worked perfect. might have nudged it the wrong way when you put it on. if i did do it again, i would use rtv though.