Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Intake Manifold

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazer_87, Oct 5, 2001.

1. blazer_87

blazer_87 Registered Member

I have an 87 Blazer 350 TBI. Can someone tell me why an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake wont work with stock heads? Edelbrocks web page says up to 86 with stock heads.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The 4 center intake bolts are different. On the 86 and older they were angled, and on the 87 and up the are almost flat. You can make them work but you have to grind out the holes to make it fit on your heads.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. blazer_87

blazer_87 Registered Member

Should I have any serious problems if I were to replace the stock head with the new 23 degree Trick Flow heads I have. <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by blazer_87 on 10/05/01 09:24 AM.</FONT></P>

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

well they do make intakes (Edelbrock) both performer, and performer RPM for the TBI applications which should work with your stock heads.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

While someone has an intake ? posted I'll ask my question as well.

Right now i am running a new motor 350 carb'ed and they guy that had the blazer before me put on a edelbrock performer RPM intake....which at first seemed stupid to me being that the rpm is more of a racing app. intake. Then the more i thought about it with my standard I may hit that 3500 RPM range and get that extra power...however lately I have been thinking about switching back to a regular edelbrock performer intake for the torque....anyone agree or disagree, see goods or bads about this RPM...I have an idea the RPM has something to do with its bad gas drinking habit as well....the rest of the engine is bone stock

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

If you look at the dyno numbers, the Performer RPM really doesn't give up any low end torque to the regular performer. The RPM is still a dual plane design, and is not really an all out racing intake.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

7. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

When I first installed my GM crate 350/300hp engine, I used an Edelbrock Performer manifold with an adapter to my 600CFM Holley vacuum secondary carb. Played around for many months dialing the carb in. Finally decided I wanted more power and bought a 383 engine and installed it. Engine builder had an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold and tried to sell it to me. I instead went with my Performer manifold and same carb although jetted richer for the 383. Engine was pretty good on power and fuel mileage but I still wasn't happy so I bought the RPM manifold my engine builder had and installed it with same carb. Wow, what a difference! Fuel mileage got a little better but power band was just great. Mid-range improved, especially in the 2000 - 4000RPM range. All I know is my particular engine likes the RPM manifold.

A good firm grip is my idea of gun control!