Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

intake manifold

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by toms72k5, Aug 25, 2002.

1. toms72k5

toms72k5 Registered Member

Franklinton, nc, it\'s a little place 30 miles nor
    The next thing i am upgrading on my truck is my intake manifold. I was wondering if any one give me some tips on which one is the best to get, i've been looking at the edelbrock ones, but i want some ideas on some other brands too and which one is the best for wheeling and everyday driving, since it is my daily driver. My k5 has the stock 350 in it. Thank you in advance.

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

air gap dual plane manifold screams.

John

3. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

weiand x-celerator everytime!

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

My edlebrock air gap can beat up your weind x-cellerator..LOL

John

5. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

Hey Tom, it all depends on the engine combo you have. If you are sticking with a stock 350, I'd stick with the ugly, old cast iron intake or maybe upgrade to an Edelbrock Performer series intake. It's runner lenth and diameter is suited for low rpm power. Running an intake with a larger plenum volume without other mods (longer duration camshaft, head porting, etc) may even reduce your low end performance. The plenum design (length and volume) are designed to work best with a certain air flow (=rpm band). Intakes with small diameters and long runners keep intake air velocity high at low rpms. This increased velocity creates a ram effect, pressurizing air into the cylinders at low rpms which helps with the low end torque we want with a heavy truck. The tradeoff is high end power. The smaller volume runners restrict air at high rpms and limits peak hp.
    I selected the Performer RPM intake for my engine combo. I though it was a good selection due to the higher airflow needs of my engine (11:1, high flow heads, 218/226 duration cam, headers). It works well, however I've found that I rarely rev higher than 4500 rpms, so I may have been better off with the smaller volume Performer intake. Everything's a tradeoff.

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Tom, Skyblazer gives some good advice here. If you don't plan on upping the compression ratio and increasing the camshaft duration and lift, the stock intake should work fine. A Performer would also be OK. If you are in California, stay away from the Air Gap intake. It does not have a CARB EO and if the smog inspection exemption ever gets repealed (there's a lot of talk in the state government about repealing it now), you'll need to get something else anyhow.

A friend had a Performer on a mildly built 350 and went to an RPM with a nice performance gain, but if your camming is below 215 degrees at 0.050" on the intake, I'd stay with the smaller intake.