Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

intake paint

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Jul 19, 2006.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i am wanting to paint my aluminum intake to make it pretty again, countless times of greasy hands, gas and oil sure dont do anything for the looks, i found some aluminum spraypaint at walmart but it looks totaly fake, i would like to keep the natural aluminum color, anyone know of a brand that will make this thing look new again?

2. Jeromy Gibson

Jeromy Gibson 1/2 ton status

if you are going through the trouble to do it right, you might as well take it off, tape off the machined surface and get it media blasted. I have done a few for friends and it makes them look as good as new

3. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

the only media blaster around here is the ex-girlfriends dad........not a good deal, everyone else has sandblasting equipment, im pretty set on painting this with a quality paint if i can find one, i am wanting to paint the water pump also

4. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the best way is to blast it then coat it with "emeron" clear dont know if thats spelled right but it repels all kinds of gas oil and handprints, it also wipes clean sell your intake on the internet and buy a new one then coat it in the clear.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had mine bead blasted, then hit it with two coats of clear. It stayed nice looking and wipes off very easily now, as opposed to when the oil and stuff seemed to soak right into the rough bare aluminum.

The bead blasting cost me about $20...

Rene

6. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

I concur with the bead blasting to get the aluminum color back, but go with clear powder coat, tuff as nails. VHT makes an aluminum engine paint that is pretty close to aluminum

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

blast it..

I'd say having it blasted with glass beads or fine sand works the best,with clear coat over it to protect it..Imron clear might yellow under engine heat,so I'd stick with high heat rated paint if they make a clear coat ..

I've used Seymour "Cast Blast" spray paint on intakes with good results--it looks just like freshly sandblasted metal..not sure how good it repels greasy fingerprints though..:crazy:

8. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Walmart sells clear coat spray bombs for engine parts. Its held up just great on my water pump.

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

If this is what I think it is, I would like to have my entire engine painted with this stuff. A guy at work put it on his exhaust manifolds and it has held up good so far.

10. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

If you can be without your intake for a little while, you can send it to these guys: http://www.exoticcoatings.com/

They do excellent work but they're pretty slow. They're always busy and always short-handed. :rolleyes: