Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Intake port matching?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big dan, Feb 22, 2006.

1. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Over the past few days i have been doing some searching on portmatching. I have a edelbrock performer intake and flowtech headers with stock heads on a 350 and would like to port match them. First of all can this be done with the heads on the motor? And what kind of benefits does it offer? I know the air will flow a little smoother but is it worth it?

2. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Don't do it on the engine - there will be too much grinding involved to make it safe. Your time would be better spent on porting the bowl area under the valves rather than port matching.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Why not port match? If you are going to do bowl work might as well port match while you have everything tore down. Seems like a wase of time to do bowl work and not port match so you can get nice clean flow. Also unless you know what you are doing with bowl work and unshrouding the valves and guide bosses you can do more harm than good.
    Basic port matching, and smoothing out the casting bumps and ridges in the intake/exhaust runners. Is an easy way to pick up 20 HP. Just be sure to do it with the heads off the engine.
    Is it worth it? Yes if you are going to take the heads off to do a valve job. or if your heads are fairly new or recent valve job.
    But otherwise I would not go thru the expence and hassle on an old set of heads without doing a good valve job too.

4. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

You prolly dont want to port match exhaust anyways. Portmatching the exhaust will increase horsepower but reduce torque. If you have a mismatch on you exhasut, it will slighly decrease overall flow velocity, but it will increase scavenging effect (more torque)

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm of the opinion you want your exhaust port slightly smaller than your header. It acts as an anti-reversion setup that helps to slow exhaust gas from being sucked back into the motor. Good for performance all around. I never match exhaust ports.