Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

intake problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87BrnRsd, Nov 20, 2003.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

i am replacing my stock intake manifold on a 79' 350 with an edelbrock performer. I have noticed that there is not a place for the EGR valve and was wondering if leaving it off will affect anything?

-harrison

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Only gas mileage, spark knock, emissions, and general drivability. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

thanks for the advice.

-Harrison

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That said, I don't run them, but there are many advantages to running one.

I prefer not to run one as when they stick open, they make your truck run like total crap.

5. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i am replacing my stock intake manifold on a 79' 350 with an edelbrock performer. I have noticed that there is not a place for the EGR valve and was wondering if leaving it off will affect anything?

-harrison

[/ QUOTE ]

I have mine blocked off and have never had a problem.

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A properly operating EGR valve won't even be noticeable. The worst thing it does is affect cylinder #8 and heat the intake more.

From now on, I'm blocking that riser that goes between the 3/5 and 4/6 cylinders through the intake. I have a problem with it overheating the intake and boiling fuel in the float bowl. I still believe in not restricting the coolant passageways but that exhaust just cooks my intake.

EDIT
    I remove the EGR valve when it starts dysfunctioning and put a block off plate on it or if I have the intake off I replace it with a non-EGR intake.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah either block it off totally, or hook it all up correctly if its good EGR unit and not junk

all the thing does is recirculate some exhaust gasses back into combustion chambers to be burnt again, to help reduce emissions out the exhaust pipes,
    stupid really, a cheap trick on the engine,. nothing that you have to have installed unless you have inspections where you live and are required to have it because truck originalyl had it from factory, in which anything that was under around 8200lbs GVW did have since 1973

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the information!

-Harrison /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif