Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Intake question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dallassnowman, Jul 18, 2004.

1. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    What is this big round thing, I need to replace the tube that goes to it(the one with duck tape).
    If I ran a straight pipe to the air cleaner, wouldnt it be better at high speeds by pushing air in the air cleaner? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

It's an intake muffler. (i think). It's supposed to quiet down the pulse noise from the intake. Thats what ford called them. Don't know for sure what GM's purpose is. I am assumimg the same!

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe thats a "silencer".

My theory on intake stuff is that if there is any sort of baffles or ridges, airflow is disturbed, reducing it.

With factory parts I'm not sure you can get rid of that piece, but with some dryer ducting or something I guess you could. Either that or swap to a 4 barrel air cleaner off of an '81-up, if possible. Then you can just run the stock hose to replace the duct tape/silencer in your picture...unless you've also got that weird piece that sits right behind the core support that appears to be some sort of dual air intake setup.