Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

intake question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hailey, Feb 24, 2003.

1. hailey

hailey Registered Member

The 350 in my 72 is stock (cam, exaust manifold, dual exaust, Q-jet) with about 74,000 miles on it. I am thinking about putting an edelbrock performer intake on it. I have heard that the new intake will not improve the power much if you don't change other things at the same time (heads, cam, etc...). I know that putting a new cam in it will help, but I can't do it right now. Would it be worth getting the intake and not changing the rest of it? What kind of improvement should I expect? Or should I just wait till I have the money and time for a complete rebuild? Thanks

Hailey

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Changing the intake to an Edelbrock Performer will make an extremely small difference. It probably will not be noticeable. The Performer is a little bit better of an intake (from a performance point of view) than the stock 4-barrel intake, but the limiting factor will be the stock camshaft profile (that is to say, the stock intake really is more than good enough for the stock cam).

If it were me, I'd get a cam/lifter setup along with the intake. If you can't afford that right now, wait a few months to save up for the cam and kit. If you don't exceed about .400" lift, you probably won't need to do a thing to the heads (consult the camshaft manufacturer and always check for retainer to guide clearance and coil bind when going to a higher than stock lift cam). Obviously, once yu re-cam, you will likely need to re-jet the carburetor and re-curve the distributor to take advantage of the cam change...

74K miles isn't that many, so I don't think you'll need a rebuild for a long time. Just keep changing the oil at regular intervals.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    The 350 in my 72 is stock (cam, exaust manifold, dual exaust, Q-jet) with about 74,000 miles on it. I am thinking about putting an edelbrock performer intake on it. I have heard that the new intake will not improve the power much if you don't change other things at the same time (heads, cam, etc...). I know that putting a new cam in it will help, but I can't do it right now. Would it be worth getting the intake and not changing the rest of it? What kind of improvement should I expect? Or should I just wait till I have the money and time for a complete rebuild? Thanks

Hailey

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, engines are big air pumps, for best performance you need to provide good intake and good exhaust, get as much air in and out of the engine as efficiently as possible, have to be able to get as much air out of the engine as is getting in it or youre going to be negative.

good luck

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Don't forget that power isn't the only reason to swap on a aftermarket intake. Those stock cast iron ones (like I have on my truck) are HEAVY!

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

and a good way to get an aluminum intake for cheap real quick if you dont need aftermarket yet is to rob one off the nearest 80-up caprice camaro or firebird, very common intakes and very cheap, i use them on all the trucks i get, helps keep engine cooler and is alot easier to handle and looks better even, they are found on the LG4 and L69 engines

6. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

I have the edelbrock performer on mine, along with an RV cam and lifters. The intake was fairly cheap (I got it new at factory direct price) but I see that "Perfomance Products" sells an aluminum intake that i smuch cheaper than the Edelbrock, but since I could get the edelbrock atfac. price, and I couldnt with the "Jap" brand, I got the Edelbrock. personally, I wouldn't ever buy the cheaper one (its designed for normal AND vortec heads, which means, more crap u dont need) if you want one cheap, they make a neat polished aluminum one for like $85

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Hailey

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, engines are big air pumps, for best performance you need to provide good intake and good exhaust, get as much air in and out of the engine as efficiently as possible, have to be able to get as much air out of the engine as is getting in it or youre going to be negative.

good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but remember the header tube size that is too big will make you loose bottom end torgue. Need to save some of the exhaust...........

John

8. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

True, but remember the header tube size that is too big will make you loose bottom end torgue. Need to save some of the exhaust...........

John

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is true, too many guys are putting together silly straw-sized headers that don't do a thing for you. They don't understand the dynamics of header construction and give you tubes that are *way* too short, so they make up for that with pipes that are too small in diameter for the displacement of the engine. Crummy bastardized compromises.

Case in point, I had an engine with a cast iron header which was factory installed. It ran OK, but lacked any power above 6800 RPM. I put on a rather large header that was designed to work with the cam timing I had chosen and the thing ran past 9K RPM, with better bottom-end to boot (better 60 foot times, could lug it around in high gear without it complaining, etc.). All of the "experts" said that it'd lose bottom end and become undriveable.