Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

intake seal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Jan 23, 2006.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if one didn't use enough silicone on the back intake seal, how bad would it leak?

2. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

A stones throw from Pargon Mountaintop Pa
    It depends. I've done about a doz so far the ones I did correct I didn't have an issue. The ones I didn't, I had a "seaper" a leaker and a redo(pulled the intake.)

I you forgot and and it's on a stand I say redo it. If it's the rig and you just got done putting it back together. Run it and see what happend.

Make sure you use black RTV. I've shmootzed it on the outside for a temp fix and it would last a month or so if done well.

bob

3. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

an aluminum manifold

If its aluminum intake, at least for edelbrocks, you are not supposed to use the rubber end piece gaskets at all. You need a 1/4 wide ribbon of silicone.... if its in the trucks, crank her up and see what happens. If its on the stand, it would be easy to redo, since the gaskets haven't stuck has hard as old ones yet.
    thanks,
    James

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i changed the cam with the motor in the truck, i ran out of silicone on the back seal, it looked like there was enough. i ran it a have a very bad oil leak. its all over the firewall, bellhousing, and everything behind it. yesterday i drove 45 miles stopped, shut it off and looked underneath. i had a small stream of oil running near the back side of the motor. i only lost a quart the entire trip, so i don't think it was like that all the time.