Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

intake sealing...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Mar 11, 2007.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

is tehre a trick or am i retared? this is twice now that the intake has leaked around teh exhaust crossover thingy...the oil will suck into it burn and get pumped out the exhaust. looking like theres a bad ring....

i tried the 5820 gaskets that have "no" exhaust hole...burned a hole. :mad: it lasted about 30minutes.:eek1:

any suggestions? or is my intake possibly F*cked up?

2. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

i assume youre talking about the EGR setup, im not sure what the 5820 gaskets are. but if you are using the right gaskets you should be fine. maybe step up to some solid copper gaskets?

3. broncoman6524

the 5820 gaskets, have no exhaust crossover hole (hole in between intake runners) the damn truck either burned itsleft some holes...or they were there and got punched out bc of the pressure.

and yes the egr setup. i have a non-egr manifold stock gaskets should work rihgt?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Have you checked the intake surface of the heads for flat? I've never seen this happen. And I usually use the gaskets that have the small restrictor hole for the crossover or the ones that have no crossover whatsoever...

5. broncoman6524

you meant flat spots? no i havent the motor is a gm longblock....not even 3000mi on it...so i doubt there will be but ill check em.

ok so i guess ill just check try the stock gaskets adn put the restictor plates in em adn hope for the best...ill put rtv on both sides around the ports too...

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

careful not to go too thick with the RTV. Except when it comes to intake ends(there you need plenty of it), RTV is usually a "little bit goes a long way" item.

7. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

hmmm non egr intake on egr heads.... im not sure how i feel about that. youve got reallyl hot gasses being piped into a port thats plugged off, high pressure very hot gasses with no where to go. might explain your problem. but then again, an egr valve would probly consitute the same thing when closed, so im very confused. gotta plead ignorance on this one, be sure to post the fix when you find it, id be very interested to learn from it.

8. broncoman6524

so shouldi slap the egr edlebrock intake on? then just hook it up? i ran the sam intake on my old motor before it died...it sealed fine...once we used rtv fro gaskets:eek1: :haha:

9. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

my gut feeling would be to go with the egr intake, but like i said, ive never heard of this, so im very confused and dont want to give bad advice.

10. broncoman6524

hey man its cool. dont worry about i. i think ill just put the stock intake on. and save up for a air-gap. but idk.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the gases have somewhere to go, right out the exhaust. sure some will get trapped in the crossover passages, but that gas would likely just sit there or be sucked out the exhaust