Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

intake ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by alf4444, May 31, 2006.

1. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I'm currently running a old school edelbrock streetmaster single plenum on my 350 what type of differance can I expect if I switch to a performer dual plenum? I have one in the garage just wondering if it's worth the swap?

2. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Streetmaster! That is a blast from the past. I ran one on a small block and was pretty pleased. It was good because it flowed better than stock and had a really short, direct plenum. Much better than a stock manifold. Of course anything is better than the stock manifold. With the dual plane you will have a broader torque pattern with more down low. I would swap it because it is just sitting there. Are they the same spread bore or square bore? Even if your motor is stock otherwise it will be an improvement.

3. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

So a dual plane will give you more torque than a single plane? I'm running a performer intake and would like to switch to the performer rpm, plus it will give me a little more height on my air cleaner assembly to raise it more above the hood. I wasn't sure if there would be a big difference between the two.

4. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

The Performer is supposed to work from idle to 5500, and the Performer RPM is supposed to work from 1500-6500. Unless you are running a high rpm set-up then I wouldn't bother. Personally, my motor doesn't make power above 5000 so Performer is good for me. I like the lower rpm design. The streetmaster ia a really old design that was better than stock. I don't know what rpm it falls on its face but with such short runners I can't imagine that it would perform as well as the dual plane.

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I would run the dual plane, unless your want a high horse mud running engine. If you slap on a single plane manifold to get the benefits of that manifold, and high end power your gonna need a cam with a grind to match, heads, and headers. All matched componets throughout the engine, many people through together an engine with components that dont match well with each other and the end result is a motor that is not running near its potential. More people are happier with a low end torque motor in a truck, unless they plan on throwing mud everywhere and obviously in mud wheel speed in key. A dual plane manifold is more geared towards lower rpm, and low end torque. I have a dual plane on my 383 with some decent heads and moderately sized valves, a cam with a fairly mellow grind. I am more than happy with the way that motor pulls, it coughs out at 5500. But I dont need a bunch of r's I just want some stump pullin power.