Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Intakes??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solid454, May 12, 2000.

1. solid454

solid454 Registered Member

i have a 73 blazer with a 350. i live in CA. the truck has all the smog bs on it and i'm going to take it off. i'm changing the intake and i was woundering if i need to get one with an egr. i would like to get one without it. there is also this vacum selinod that i don't want on there. broken 2 of them. about $70 each. i was woundering what the best in take would be. i have been looking at the edelbrok preformer idle to 5500 i think something like that. is that a good intake for it?

BIG HEAVY AND MEAN

2. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey solid454 glad to see another 73K5 here in Cali, I have an Edelbrock intake and a 600cfm also Edelbrock carb. I'm not sure the model # of my intake, it came with the truck when I bought it and it's kinda dirty but it's working really good, I'm planning on buying a new intake and carb. but later on, so good luck buddy.

ps. Where in Cali are you I'm in Long Beach

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes, the Perfromer intake is an excellent choice. As far as the egr quetsion, if you are taking the rest of the stuff off why not do away with it all?

As far as the Edelbrock carbs go, I am not a big fan of them.(sorry this is not a flame) I prefer the Quadrajets(qudratoilets) they have center hung fuel bowls and are less prone to bogging on steep angles.
    There are off-road kits for the Edelbrock carbs, they help, but dont eliminate the problem 100%.

Again this is not a flame!

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Emmet: Edelbrock also has Q-jets. I have a #1902 which is the same as the Rochester 4MV. They are great. I also heard that the Edelbrock non-qjets are not good for off-roading.

Solid454: I have the Edelbrock intake, and it's great. For the small-block it's part #2101, check out http://www.edelbrock.com to find the right one for your 454 (I guess that's what you have).

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

5. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

I have a Weiand intake under a Holley 600cfm on my 400, and it will run at EXTREME angles with no mods. Holley also makes the off-road kit, but I haven't needed it yet.

Blazin' in Flagstaff

6. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

I run a Edelbrock Torker2 intake with a Holley 600 on my 406. Not exactly very "off-roady" as the Torker2 is rated 1500-6500 rpm, but I do allright[​IMG] I have a q-jet (4MV) standing by for a tryout later on, and if it doesn´t satisfie me I´m going Edelbrock 750 cfm. Carbs and intakes aren´t THAT expensive when bought used [​IMG]

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

7. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

I don't know why Edelbrock makes the Performer. The simple fact is that the Performer RPM makes more power and torque through the whole r.p.m. range. Numerous test have shown this, even Edelbrock says it. The only reason that I know of that they still produce it is so that the uneducated will buy it (no offense to anyone). It dosen't matter if you have a stock 305 or a radical 406 stoker, the RPM will out do the Performer. I've used both on my Blazer, I know.

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???

8. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

If you read this post it says that the Performer is better for 4x4's. http://www.paceparts.com/edelbrock_intake_manifolds.htm   If you can show me where it says the Performer RPM is better for Trucks I would appreciate it. More performace is always better.

By the way, anyone ever Dyno tested after an intake manifold swap?

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Hey, let's see some backing info about the Edelbrock intakes. I was planning on getting a Performer for my '87, but if someone can prove the RPM version is better, then we'll all be better-informed!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

10. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever heard of an Edelbrock SP2P intake? I ran a Weiand Stealth on the Blazer for a while but didn't get that off the line grunt I was looking for. So I put the SP2P that I got from a friend on and liked it much better. The Stealth is now on the one ton and works much better at higher RPM's. Is the SP2P an early Performer? As far as the performer vs the RPM it has to do with your set up and how you want your truck to perform. The performer has a shorter plenum with smaller runners to generate more flow at a lower RPM which will make more torque. Whereas the p-RPM has a slightly taller plenum and larger runners that need more RPM's to make better flow and thus a higher RPM range.

Now that I've totally confused myself, good luck!

11. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

Well just for you guys (since your cute and all) I'll go get a copy of the dyno sheet and scan it to post. Check back tommorow night for it! Matt P.S. my dog is better looking then the likes of you!

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???

12. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

THE REASON EDELBROCK MAKES THE PERFORMER BECAUSE IT IS SMOG
    LEGAL REPLACEMENT. YOU CAN NOT GET THE RPM WITH EGR PROVISIONS. THIS IS WHY. I WOULD USE THE PERFORMER RPM.

13. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Okay, since we're on the subject of intakes, I'd like to switch mine out here soon, and would I have problems with the ECM if I got an intake that had no EGR provisions? How is the EGR system connected to the ECM and for what purpose?
    Just wondering..

14. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

So has anyone heard of an Edelbrock SP2P?

15. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Not sure if they are made anymore, but a buddy of mine back in high school (20 years ago!) put one on his Dad's 74 Blazer, made a nice difference versus the factory intake.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

16. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    I would like to see the range of off-idle to 3000 rpms, can you please post the dyno runs your
    talkind about ? Please include any and all test conditions !

17. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I have scanned the following from the Edelbrock catalog, it is free for the asking from them, it also contains the chart graphs for the different intakes on different motors with carb combinations...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1