Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Intakes?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Aug 26, 2001.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

I received a post by somone on here saying that I should get an intake and a new carb for my 85 305 engine. Has anyone done this? if so did it change the performance? And what brand is it or what do you recommend?

1985 GMC JIMMY

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I would recomend keepind you stock carb if its still good. The stock one take elevation changes better, and climbing steep things. If you change your intake I would recomend a edlebrock performer intake. They work great. If your carb is no good I would rebuild it. If you dont do a lot of offroading then I would recomend a holley 600 or 650 cfm vacuum secondary carb. Most of the time you better gas mileage and better performance. The problem with holleys is the flood out real easy on a incline.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs locked front.Other cars 69 Firebird w/525 hp,and 70 GTO <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>MY vehicles</a>

3. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I too would suggest the Edelbrock Performer but don't go with a Holley ....too hard to keep in tune .......go with a matching CFM from Edelbrock and stick with the same brand name for best results.

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I did that swap. I installed an Edelbrock performer manifold #2101 and an Edelbrock Q-jet #1902. The most important improvement was cold morning starts. The old one had worn shafts and bad vacuum canisters, which go beyond a typical carb rebuild.

I'm very happy with the new setup, especially after trying it in really steep trails.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> There ya go, a true satisfied customer !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you're not into really crazy angles the Carter clone Edelbrock is a great carb too. I find my mileage went up a bit but the performance improvement was awsome! Very crisp off-idle response and easy starts hot or cold.
    I had a Holley 600 Vac secondary for a while and felt that best contribution it could make to my truck was as a wheel chock. It would alwys boil the fuel when hot and was impossible to keep tuned![​IMG] The Edelbrock (1406) is easy to tune...set it and forget it! If you wheel a fair bit and see some crazy angles then the Q-jet replacement or the edelbrock Q-jet is the carb for you due to its tolerance for angles.

As for intakes, I run the factory aluminum 4 barrel intake with an adaptor plate for the Edelbrock. For an aftermarket intake I'd go with the Performer.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>