Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Integral roll bar?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91K5, Jun 29, 2002.

1. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

I noticed on the specs page a while back it says theres a integral roll bar built into the cab of 77-91 Blazers, just wondering if anyone knew much about them, or had pics of the roof skin off to see what they looked like? I'm just curious as to how strong it is.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Don't know much about them except that it'll save your @$$ in a rollover! I've seen many rolled K5 pics and it holds up very well.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

According to the PAD (Production Assembly document) I have for an '84, it's basically two pieces of stamped High Stregth
    steel spot welded together forming a rectangular box type "bar" running from basically the floor support behind the driver,
    outboard to the quarter, up to the roof, across and back down and across to the other floor support behind the passenger.
    The floor sections are formed differently that the upright and roof section.
    Can't comment as to how strong it is, but saw a rolled one in a junkyard once, looked like it help up pretty well.

BlazerMan

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Take a look at Desert Duelers rig after he rolled it for an idea of how well it holds up. He has pics of it when he got it back to the shop after the roll. He had to jack up the front of the roof but the rear section over your head held up well. I *think* he rolled it 6 times, and I believe he told me he could still bolt on a roof. He did not have a cage when it happened.

5. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Click on my sig and there's some pics of a 91 that was rolled at 60 mph, or so I was told. it held up well. Its now my trail only vehicle and have since cut off the entire top. Where I cut the top where this is at there where numerous layers of sheetmetal layered together. Looked pretty stout to me!