Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Integrated Rock Sliders - rocker panel removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jjlaughner, Oct 8, 2002.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I need pics of some rock sliders that others have done to get some ideas on what I need to do/try. I have some nasty rocker panels on my new prject and I remember someone having some Integrated Rock Sliders inplace of the rockers... Any ideas?
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifThanks, Jeremiah

2. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Bent and Twisted does them. Check out his site there should be some pics.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I did that to mine, may be slightly different but click below and I have some pics there. Basicaly just started cuting and fitting 3x3square tubing in the rockers place. then just welded the 3x3 to the rocker boxes.
    Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I have some pics of what is to be cut out. I will try and load them up at lunch time

5. jjlaughner

Pretty cool, thanks for the link. I'm thinking of cutting just the rocker out maybe? I do like the 3"square tubing deal!
    [​IMG]

6. jjlaughner

Hi, I checked out the site and the rock sliders on the red blazer is real similar to what I'm wanting to do. I was thinking about mounting back to the body mount also for more support (because I'm sure it needs more support or maybe replaced)? Thanks, I'll come up with another sketch after I take another look. Jeremiah

I guess it does make more sense to do a full bar, but it will have to be made after I trim the fenders and start cutting the rockers out! Thanks again.

7. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

The rock sliders can only mount to the frame or the body, not both. I was a sceptic of mounting them to the body only, but after seeing Butch sitting on her rockers only, last weekend, I am a believer. Mounting the sliders to the body only is a much better way than mounting to the frame.

8. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I removed the rocker and welded in a slider to the body. Then braced down to the frame w/ spring bushings.....

You can see it here.

Marv

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I mounted mine to the body, with a brace to the rear body mount. Slammed them real good on the rocks of Moab, other than some loose fillings they took it! I was damn surprised! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif My pictures has the sliders in them, course you probibly want to keep your doors. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But they are all mounted to the body, 3x4x3/16s!

10. jjlaughner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    My pictures has the sliders in them, course you probibly want to keep your doors.

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah winters in Indiana suck so I'm going to keep the doors on it and the top will get put back on in winter. Very cool Idea with the bracing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks

11. jjlaughner

The Blazer runs everything. Work to pay for Blazer. Go to school to make more money to buy more stuff for Blazer. Spend all free time modifying Blazer.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I heard that, my show blazer took 5 years during (four during and one year after) college. I have at least 12K in receipts. It just got a little too far out of hand in the rebuilds to go out and slam into a rock... SO I BOUGHT ANOHTER BLAZER to do it too!
    Back on subject I'm liking the body only mounting idea but it just seems like it would be hard on the body mounts and bolts? I may not get into that situation alot but if I do I want to make sure the body doesn't snap off the frame! haha /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Thanks, Jeremiah

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I bolted mine on the frame, half an insh below the body after cutting some of the rocker.
    It's a 2x4 w/14" thick wall, it is rock solid and it's sandwitching the frame so no stress points on the frame.
    It works fine and it supports the weight of the body without affecting the body mounts.
    IceMan

13. jjlaughner

Then braced down to the frame w/ spring bushings

[/ QUOTE ] Very cool... Future plans include Springer spring kit!
    list of plans

14. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    That is basically how my life goes.
    On the body mounts snapping off the truck, not likely it will happen. As long as you keep the bolts tight, you shouldn't have a problem. Of course, you might want to check the condition of your body mounts and bolts. If the bolts are rusted and the bushings are shot, you might have a problem.

15. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I did this over a year ago.
    These pics should help get you started:
    Rock Sliders

I only mounted mine to the body as well. Came down on it hard several time, leaned on it several times, etc....no probs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif to my mod /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Boss /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. marv_springer

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif"Future plans include Springer spring kit!"/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Marv

17. jjlaughner

Now that what I'm looking for! Great pics. What size tubing did you use for the actuall rocker part? I might get some round tubing bent for the step, like the bent and twisted rockslider.
    Also, off topic, hows your suspention setup? </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Custom Alcan Springs(58" rear, ~50" front)

[/ QUOTE ] Can you send me some info on that in a PM[​IMG] That looks about right to/for me! I was thinking Springer springs and 4-6" rancho softrides in the front. Is that why your spring hangers/mounts are painted red? Thanks again, Jeremiah (this is turning out to be a great thread!) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

18. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

19. marv_springer

Blk87,

Now that I see that image, I know who you are.... We were both on the "ill fated" Rusty Nail run..

Dude.... you got the softest springs I've ever seen /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif under a Blazer !... You say they're Alcans? I thought mine was soft, but it was no where close to yours.

Marv

20. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I used 3x3 Boxed tubing...I don't remeber what thickness I used though...I think 1/8" wall or 3/16" wall...did this too long ago...
    At the time I built this, I didn't have a tube bender, so I just used boxed tube for the step. But since I have a bender now,I will also bend 1.5" round tube for the steps. Just haven't gotten around to that yet /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

blk87...DAMN, I never seen your truck before. You're right, it definately looks similar! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Trust me, mine isn't looking like this for too much longer either...got many mods/ideas in plan for the old gal...time is the issue though :\ /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Marv, who are you commenting about the soft springs? If it was me, I agree on the softness, sometimes, I feel it's a little too soft, but when I ditch the doors, tailgate, top, that should lighten the load I guess, and should help...
    If you weren't refering to me, then my bad! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was really close to getting your set up though, but I needed something to move the rear axle further back (3" total)....