Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interchangeable Parts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stylzz, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Here's the deal, I have a 1980 K5 with lots of rust on the body panels. The fire dept. my friend is in is doing a training exercise with a K5 1988-91 not sure of the year. Well they are going to cut the doors and top off of it /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. He is letting me take all of the parts off of it. The question I have is are the doors and fenders interchangeable? Seats, tailgate, etc. If so I am going to switch them before the exercise because the one on the other K5 are perfect.
    Thanks for the help,
    Joe

2. codeman

codeman Registered Member

Most things are interchangeable. The fenders however are not. The later models had different sidelamps.

3. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

yea I know about the side lamps, I can deal with that but will it be the same size and have the same bolt holes?

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The only big differences between the two years are the front clip, the way the hood hinges: the 80 hood hinge is mounted to the fender and Late models are thru the firewall. Pasanger seat is going to have 2 rear holes if it is after '89 due to the sliding seat. Dash pad is also diferent '80 has a high hump down the middle and '81 had a flat top dash.

Engine, Trans and T-case are the hardest thing to swap.

Everything can be swapped with work

5. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Thanks for the input I know everything wont just fit right in but it would be crazy to pass up this deal. I just need a place to store all of the parts and something to get the engine out. I'm sure when I do need to swap something like the engine or tranny I will be looking here for how to do it.
    Thanks again,
    Joe

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you want the fenders you need to take the whole front clip. The hood & core support are different as well. It is also easier to swap the full front clip tant to just pull fenders.

7. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Thats something I thaught about but I think I am just going to keep my fenders and do some body work to them. I like the lines on them better and my hood is in good shape. I want to keep the thing as close to stock as I can.

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Wish I could have gotten some of that action.

If your grabing the Engine, Trans, & T-case grab the wiring harness including the Computer and the speedo my be electric.

Good Luck!

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Think they'd notice their truck missing and yours in its place? ; )

10. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Trust me I thought about it but mine runs good and only has rust on the body panels. On the other one the whole floor is rusting out of it and I know they beat on it a lot chasing us all over the woods when we used to have keg parties in high school.

11. dyeager535

If you have free reign of the place, I'd be taking the sending unit, all the fuel lines on it, etc. That TBI stuff is fairly expensive, and so long as it is in working condition, could at least be re-sold.

I hate to see good parts destroyed for no reason.

12. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Hey dyeager535, I have a question for you about my TH350. You mentioned to me about a lock up torque converter about a month ago and I think there is a problem with mine. If your there let me know.

13. dyeager535

I'm here, but if you create a new post, there are probably quite a few more people just as capable as I, if not more so, to answer your question : )

besides, I'm getting ready to shut the computer down for the day, finally!

14. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Yea I posted a couple of days ago in the Garage but no replies, if you are busy I wont bother you, I'll just post it here.