Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

intercooler!??

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by smprider112, Aug 12, 2004.

1. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

So I was at the U-pull it today and there was this intercooler looking thing in the back of a pickup truck...it has a FORD emblem on the side along with the serial number and what not...Would this be a good junkyard find? should I go back and get it and see if anyone needs one? I dont have a turbo...yet, so maybe I should grab it just for when I do eventually go turbo /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If it's an intercooler, it could be adapted to our GM's. Don't pay aver about $50-75. You can get them for a little more than that on ebay.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

how effective is the intercooler? Kennedy diesel has one, but it doesnt say how much HP it adds.

4. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Directly the I/C will not add any HP.
    It will lower EGTs and allow for sustained higher boost pressures before EGTs get too high. Lower EGTs allow for more fuel/boost to be added. Too an extent(on the 6.2/6.5).

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

ok, the better question would be, is it worth adding on a stock 6.5 Turbo?

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ok, the better question would be, is it worth adding on a stock 6.5 Turbo?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the right price it should be /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Basically it lets you turn up the fuel a little more for more power.

7. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

An intercooler is not as effective if your boost doesnt go over 15psi. The pressure loss through the intercooler will outweigh the air temperature decrease. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I disagree and here is why: In a 6.2s case, you do not have a lot of airflow (at least compared to other light truck diesels). Now, at a low airflow, a given aftercooler will have less of a pressure drop than it would with an engine with more air flow (i.e. Cummins, etc.). So, if you were to put an aftercooler on a 6.2 turboed rig, you should drastically lower inlet temps with no more than a 1 psi drop (no firsthand experience with a 6.2, but it is a pretty well educated guess from dealing with other diesels). So what I am thinking is you would maybe lose 1 psi boost at the manifold, but you might cut the air charge temp in half (or even more if its a good cooler). This will obviously net you lower EGTs and will be much better for the engine. Also, if youre willing to risk it, you can of course add more fuel at this point. The question one has to ask I think is if the price tag and work involved in putting an air to air aftercooler on one of our trucks is worth it. If you are towing a lot or running an engine with say some low compression pistons and a lot of fuel, I would say its worth it. If its just a stock 6.2 with a Banks turbo on it and fuel turned up the recommended amount, I would say its not worth it.