Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Intercooler

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 79k20350, Dec 19, 2005.

1. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

So is running an intercooler with a banks setup worth it? i cant imagine it wouldnt be? my unlcle is doing a 6 gun on his ford superduty so i could nab his intercooler... mounting it wouldnt be hard. just want to know what type of gains to expect?

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Uh, no. The whole point of an intercooler is to drop the IAT's, and the lower you can get those the lower you get your EGT's. Most people who install an intercooler and change nothing else actually see a 1-3psi drop in boost on the intake side, and they dont see any power increase or loss, the same exact ammount of air is getting into the motor as before, its just cooler. What they see is a drop in EGT's which lets them either be happy that their EGT's are lower and give them the ability to run with their foot further in it before hitting that critical temp, or dump more fuel into the motor before cooking it.

"+40hp minimum", thanks for the laugh.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the drop in boost is expected, somethings in the intake tract...but the cooler intake temps are more plentiful wit oxygen so i can only imagine youd have about the same if not more power? but also like said your egt is lower

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

An intercooler on a fairly stock 6.2L with a Banks turbo is probably not going to gain you any real world power. A Banks turbo doesn't create enough boost to warrant cooling it down and losing a bit of boost.

I wouldn't mind installing an intercooler on my engine, but I don't want it for the possible power increase, but rather for the cooling effects. My engine gets pretty hot pulling up long grades with a large load. My EGT's are actually pretty good though.

I saw 18 psi on the boost guage the other day...the highest boost I've seen yet. That's the kind of boost you need to have before an intercooler really becomes a necessity.

Casey

5. FWP

FWP CRS

Just for fun, I threw a thermocouple in the intake while towing. Max temp was 220-230 *F IAT, up grade, 10,000 lb trailer, with the banks running 7 psi (4000 ft altitude). FWIW.

Like Casey said, not worth it in stock/banks form.