Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interest on Savings Bonds

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 55Willy, Sep 21, 2004.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

My parents sent me all my savings so I have a bunch dated as far back as 1986. so I'm trying to figure out the interest earned on em. I know some are 7 year some 10 and some 15 year maturity, in fact the most recent ones (1996) are a 20 year bond. I found a website with alot of info on them and figures but nothing matching what I'm looking for,lOL.

2. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

i have a handful and went to my bank and asked the teller how much they were worth. they should probably be able to tell you what interest rate they are at now too.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, just take 'em to your bank. They will be able to figure out for you what they're worth. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The treasury department has a calculator online, just plug in the numbers on the bonds and it will tell you exactly how much. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Can't help with the site, I'm sure google will find it.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm learning a little more about investing... Buy the kid some cheap land in a growing community, pay the taxes on it, and give it to him when he's 18 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

Bonds are cool. Nice to "discover" when you hit a serious need for cash...

6. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Bonds are cool. Nice to "discover" when you hit a serious need for cash...

[/ QUOTE ]

Until you discover how much tax you have to pay on those suckahs /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

If you have a kid coming, don't cash them. Transfer them into more bonds or a savings account for the kid. I wish I still had mine but they were cashed in by a drunken father. My grandparents bought me a new savings bond almost every month when I was little. Who knows how many hundreds/thousands of dollars I SHOULD have had.

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

My dad would have 2 bonds paid for out of his checks each month for all of us kids. My brother and I (twin) each have over 5K in em. He used some of his for school and after he got out of the Marines he has since continued getting the bonds. My dad still has 2 a month paid for out of his work and has em in his name now.

I found out you can only cash $1000 at a time.

I'v been looking for the online calc where I can just enter the number to see so i can sort them out better.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author