Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interested in a Dmax fuel filter retrofit??

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by ben427, Sep 29, 2004.

1. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Im not please with the size and length of time my fuel filters last on my new truck. So im gonna retro fit a Caterpillar 10 micron primary fiter/water seperator and a 2 micron secondary filter on my truck. looks to be fairly simple. Is anyone else interested in a writeup/pic/part numbers?? lemme know. Gonna do it in the next two weeks.

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes. part numbers and pics!

3. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Yes, Nick at www.nicktane.com offers this same swap (except he uses a 2 micron filter) for the Dmax with mounting hardware.

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Yeah im using that same filter(2 micron) for the secondary, and using a 10 micron water seperator as a primary.

EDIT:
    I looked at his kit and don't really care for it, i dont like the idea of having the filter under the truck,especially in a wheel well. Both of mine will be in the engine compartment, safe and out of harms way. He also tell yous to prefill the filter, which is a no-no, cause thats putting unfiltered fuel right back into the system. He does show how good the Cat 2 micron filter is though by having the cutaway. Also running the filters that way (2 micron before 10 micron) tend to cause the fine one to plug up as it is getting raw dirt right from the tank, and is designed to filter fuel that has already gone through a 10 micron screen. If you do it his way, always carry a spare filter.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey ben427,
    I would be interested in seeing what you got going on. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    I don't have my rig yet but in another 30 days I should be picking up an 05Crew4x4longbedDuramax /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

I don't know sqwat about thease rigs yet, hell I don't even know when the oil should be changed(milage) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    One thing I did read is that diesl from a regular gas station will be dirtier than from a truck stop due to it sitting in the tanks for too long??
    I can't wait to pick mine up

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Are you using the Permacool head unit?

7. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

No, I'm using all caterpillar componenets. Filter bases, elements, primer pump, etc. This is so parts are readily avalable at any caterpillar dealer.