Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interested in a roof rack? Check out these pics!! (pics fixed)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Jul 12, 2001.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Just got my Con-Ferr installed last night. I custom installed it as it is a larger rack than they tell you is what is designed for the blazer. The rack is a full 4.5' x 6'. I used the bulldog clamps on the front (as others have done) and the adjustable mounts on the fiberglass top. This allowed me to move it far enough forward to use a light mounting device without drilling through the cab roof. I think it looks really sharp and is very functional. I mount the reverse lights on it tonight. Check it out and tell me what you think!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com/index.html>http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com/index.html</A>

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 4" lift, 35X12.5 BFG MTs, 15x10 Hellcats, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Excuse the language, but DAMN that thing looks nice. Thats the first pic I've seen of your Blazer, I like. The rack looks great also!

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

That is one sweet truck! the rack looks great on it.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Looks great! How much weight do you think it'll hold?

Murphy's Laws on Life:
    "A bird in the hand is worth three Kleenex."

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Its supposed to hold stuff?!? I don't know on the weight. I don't plan to put many heavy things up there, more likely just bulky things. Stuff like my camping gear, recovery gear, probably my hi-lift (once I get it). Heavy stuff will rpobably go on the inside. Afterall, it's damn near 8 feet to get up there!

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 4" lift, 35X12.5 BFG MTs, 15x10 Hellcats, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Brian, it looks great! What are you going to do for flooring? Also, did you notice the extra wind drag? Right now I have my rack off and the tire is off, and I can't believe the mileage difference and the lack of that "drag feeling" on the highway! The rack definitely gives the truck a sweet look, but I am contemplating getting a spare tire carrier bumper...

Looks sweet, glad you went with the Con Ferr, I knew you'd like it! [​IMG]

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I was just wondering if you could stand on it, not mount a useless spare tire up there, or load up a pallet of bricks! [​IMG]

Murphy's Laws on Life:

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have a swing away spare tire carrier. The rack alone with the lights doesn't make much difference. But then again, I just put the 35s on two days ago. What I could be contributing to drag from them may actually be from the rack and lights. I only get 10-11 MPG anyway. I will see if it impacts this tank I just put in this morning. Filled up for $1.29 a gallon this morning!

9. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I haven't stood in it as I don't have the full floor in it yet (going with an nice expanded metal grate for the floor tack welded in), but I was hanging from it when the ladder slipped out from under me during installation! It didn't budge!

10. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

$1.29 a gallon?!?!?! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gas just started coming down here and we were just saying today at work that finally gas prices are starting to drop a little, a Chevron had 87 for $1.85. Maybe I should just have you barrel it up and send me some!! LOL! It'd still be cheaper!

11. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

HAHA... Last fill here in OK... $1.09... Cheapest in the country I believe.

Chad

12. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I've always wanted to get one of those. Pretty expensive, though. Does anyone know if they make one small enough to fit on just the half-cab? I don't want to mount it on the soft top. I won't use if for a tire, either.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chriswhitley.com>http://www.chriswhitley.com</A>

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Man, that sucker's huge!! Looks great though!

Now I understand what you were talking about! How did you end up wiring to the cab?

$1.65 a gallon on LI, this week at least. A month ago it was $1.9? (stopped paying attention at that point to prevent accidental suicide)... Killed me when I filled up with 93 at $2.07 one week.

Ratch
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by newyorkin on 07/12/01 08:43 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

14. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Looks good, anymore pics? If you don't mind me asking how much did that thing cost you? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

15. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It's a 1.20 here in Austin [​IMG]

Murphy's Laws on Life:

16. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Chad, Where did you find it for $1.09? I just got some at teh 7/11 on 50th & Portland (usually one of the cheapest around) and it was $1.18.

Good lord. The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up it's butt.

17. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Love the rack Brian. Looks real cool and functional too.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/jangelicchio>http://community.webshots.com/user/jangelicchio</A>

Lisle, Ontario, CANADA</font color=green>

18. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Nice man. Reeeeeeeeeeeeallly nice. How much are the bulldog clamps and where do I get some?

19. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The rack with the mounting hardware was $300. The light mounts cost a total of $100. And the lights themselves cost an additional $250 or so. I haven't bought all the wiring, switches, or relays yet and I have yet to install the expanded metal floor. I expect the total cost of the rack to come in somewhere around $800 when it is all said and done. But $500 of that will be in the lights and all their required stuff.

20. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

There are several different bulldog clamps. The ones that fit on mine were the HDS-2 clamps. I originally ordered the HD-2 from 4WPW (where I got the rack), but these lifted the rack about 5" above the cab. Way too high. The HDS-2 worked great, but I had to get them directly from Con-Ferr. Directly from Con-Ferr they were about $25 for the pair, but worth it. They are VERY heavy duty and well built.