Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interested in Canada.......

Discussion in 'North Region' started by gm4x, Jul 7, 2004.

1. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

I'm having serious thoughts of moving, possibly to Canada. What would you give as far as advice goes to someone considering this? What do you like/dislike about it up there? I'm a "country" person, & like to hunt & fish. I'd like to find 20-50 acres somewhere. What's a fair price for land there?

Serious input appriciated.....Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Where in Canada are you interested in moving to? That's the biggest question you have to ask yourself to begin with. Land prices in my area are some of the most expensive in the country, but within 4 hours you can buy a 1/4 section(160 acres) for less than 200k. It all boils down to location, brother.

So lets' start there and we'll work on the rest after we hear from you....

3. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

Not really sure. I've only been into Canada once (Saulte St. Marie...sp?)just across the bridge, so I don't know where a nice place would be. Though I'd like to be able to have that much land, it's more than I'll be able to afford. Thanks to the laws & government here...I've pretty much lost everything I had (business & posessions), hence my reason for wanting to move. Just a place I can be alone & enjoy life for a change. Was considering a polebarn with a 30' or so camper to live in. Simple & cheap from here on out /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. Can Can

Well, if you're looking for good weather than BC is where it's at. It's also a mecca for fishing/hunting/outdoor pusuits. There's some really cheap land available in the West Kootenays and the Cariboo areas-lots of mountainous terrain, forests and rivers/lakes. You're probably looking at around 5-10K per acre if you wanna be relatively close to civilization, cheaper if you're in the boondocks.

If weather isn't that important, then I'd personally consider Saskatchewan. Of course, 50% of that province is bald ass prairie so land is obviously pretty cheap.

Northern ALberta is pretty nice too, but prices are a wee bit higher due to all the oil money up there.

I can't really comment about the Eastern provinces(I don't know enough or really care to know) but I'm kinda biased towards Western Canada.

How much are you looking to spend? How important are utilities to you? I might be able to take a few minutes and do some searching around if you're interested.....

Paul

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

(see gm4x, Paul does know his stuff/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)

6. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

Weather isn't a huge factor, I like the snow, but not -50 (f) temps. Kootenays??...then I'd be Steve's neighbor /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif (j/k). Sounds like a nice place. I'd probably lean more towards the boonies though.

As far as the type of land, maybe a mix of woods & pasture, but not just barren soil.

Not really sure on any dollar figure at this point. Long story short, I was in an auto accident 18 months ago (that wasn't my fault), and the insurance companies involved, along with the laws, and politicians, let them (insurers) get away with murder here. I had a pretty good life, and made a good living (self-employed) prior to this accident. I'm having to sue the insurers, but best-case sceniro......I'm still screwed. Bottom line....I don't want to live somewhere that you can have all you've worked for taken from you while the government watches. Just not a place I care to be.

Utilities would be nice, but not a must. I guess it'd all depend on location & price. If there's a place you can tell me, I can search. Was also curious about Canadian citizenship.....or if it's even required to move there from the US?

Thanks Paul, for your time.......Brian

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Without intending to open a big old can of worms I think Canada has a better social safety net than the US.
    Universal health care is a bonus IMO.

Almost any part of Canada is capable is -40 or colder in the winter (usually not for very long stretches though) the exception would be coastal BC and inland about 500 miles from the coast. Once you get to Paul's neck of the woods you'll find 'real winter'.

BC is not that cheap, especially the closer to the coast you get. Inland a ways it's pretty reasonable, but that is considered 'holiday' country and can be spendy for that exact reason.

Manitoba has about a million lakes, but also has some of the coldest winters and largest mosquito's.

Southern Ontario is supposed to be decent, but it's also pretty populous so might cost a few bucks.

I'll see what I can dig up on citizenship requirements. AFAIK you don't need to get a citizenship, but you will need landed immigrant status. Dual citizenship is still OK, so you can get a Canadian citizenship without having to give up your US citizenship.

Standard of living in Canada is much the same as the US. Our taxation is different and probably a bit higher depending on where you live. Politic's are different as we use the British parlimentary style here.

If you're big on wheeling BC has a ton to offer, and arguably some of the most breathtaking scenery in Canada.

Rene

8. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

Well, I'm certainly not going to be offended by what anyone says. There's a reason I'm looking to move from here, and it's 100% because of how I've been treated.

I can handle the cold, just not looking for a place that's freezing cold all year 'round. The midwest is pretty much inline (on occassion) with what you described.

Inland would be fine, and the farther away from tourist attractions, large cities, etc. the better. A nearby town with a grocery store & a hardware store would work for me.

What advantages, or disadvantages are there in comparison to the 2 different types of government (without getting yourself flamed, and I don't mean by me) do you see (in a nutshell)? Don't stick your neck out here. Again, you aren't going to offend me, but you're aware others read this. If you want, PM me if needed, or I think my e-mail address is in my profile.

It takes little to keep me happy, or occupied. It doesn't bother me to be alone (but I'm not anti-social), just looking for a place where I won't be bothered, hasseled, and can just live peacefuly without getting screwed everytime I turn around. I've lived in some places that others wouldn't even consider. I don't care about the "status-quo", and would enjoy sipping coffee each morning looking out at nothing but nature's peace & quiet. Hunting, trapping, and fishing for food as well as maybe alittle extra income (furs).

I'm still in the process of trying to get medical treatment from this accident, so I'm not sure if employment will ever be a part of the picture. If it is, I'll probably do the handy-man thing. Ive been in the trades for more than 30 years, and would do just enough to get by.

Thanks for the reply Rene /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif. Anything you or anyone else can add is appriciated /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

9. Can Can

[ QUOTE ]
    What advantages, or disadvantages are there in comparison to the 2 different types of government (without getting yourself flamed, and I don't mean by me) do you see (in a nutshell)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's so much a difference in governments that separates our two countries. IMHO, all governments are pretty corrupt and self-serving. It's more that, IN GENERAL, Canadians are more relaxed and socially conscious. This leads to a more caring society that tries to avoid leaving other behind. Of course, it costs us a little more to accomplish this.

So, in a nutshell, my pro-Canada personal observations are as follows:

1. We have a Health system which guarantees that EVERY Canadian has access to doctors and hospitals. You will never run into a situation like in the US where a hospital will refuse to treat you.

2. We also have an Employment Insurance system that ensures that seasonal workers and those who get laid off have some sort of income between jobs.

3. Canadians seem to have a greater respect for the law and peace officers. As a result, the officers I've had to deal with /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif have generally been professionals that don't pull atittude the minute you open your mouth.

4. We have damn good beer.

Negatives? Well, there has to be a couple:

1. Our level of taxation is amongst the highest in the free world, but that's how we can afford to fund our public safety-net systems I mentioned above. There are also fewer write-offs than the US(we can't write-off the interest on our mortgages, for example).

2. We have this little problem with "patriotism". Heck, our national identity comes from a beer ad. We could learn a thing or two about flag waving from your country.......

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of stuff, but I think you get an idea of the differences between our countries.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I can think of a negative:
    Potholes!
    At least in here were I live, there everywhere!

11. Can Can

Well, Brian, I spent the last couple of hours cruising for a property for you. Let me just say that there are absolutely TONS of nice properties that fit your description for under $75K CDN(about $55K USD) in Northern Saskatchewan, Northern Alberta, and Northern BC. I can't comment on the areas because I don't know much about them, and I would assume that jobs are non-existant in some of the areas, but rest assured that if you want to "get away from it all", there's plenty of opportunities to do so up this way.

Here's a couple of examples:

10 acres in Northern BC

60 Acres in Northern BC

52 Acres in Northern Alberta

160 Acres in Northern Saskatchewan

20 Acres in Northern Saskatchewan

There were hundreds others I that I could link you to, but I thought these ones fit you best. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

Haha....Paul, first off, again I appriciate your replies. I had to laugh a few times at this one...we share some similar political views /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The health & employment issues have never been a problem for me. I never get sick, and never had a problem getting hired, until becoming self-employed in 1987. My current situation is from auto insurance, and the politicans who kiss the a$$es of that particular industry. Too much money up for grabs evidently? Then the State & Feds turn their backs & twiddle their thumbs while yer gettin' jacked. It gets me...you'd think they'd WANT people here working, paying taxes, spending money here for the economy. But....what do I know /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

The "laid-back" mentality sounds pretty good (I'd fit right in).....as does that Canadian Beer! I don't have a problem paying taxes, even higher ones just as long as I'm not treated like a "dog log" when I ask for legitimate help in return. The majotity of elected officials here can't be bothered enough to even answer my letters. Not had too many problems with the law, I respect them for what they do, and don't intend on giving any of them a reason to be bothered with me.I've had several friends here who were on the local, county, or state PD's, and was even offered a job as one in a small neighboring town.

AS far as the patriotism goes...well, I supported my state & country for alot of years (I just turned 47). But in turn...I'm saddened by what I've learned I mean to them. There are alot of folks here that will stand-up for the US, regardless of how it's run. It is my honest belief that the true "average joe" here has little to no voice in it's decisions, laws, or how it's run. It's that same average, hardworking, honest guy who get's the "short end of the stick" when it comes to situations similar to mine. I'd be happy, as well as proud to live anywhere that I have the right to live a simple life, without having to worry about being left to suffer, and losing everything I have...all because I played by the rules. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I looked at the links to those properties, thanks for looking them up for me. I have to say they all looked very interesting, and are definately along the lines of what I'm looking for (I'll probably have dreams about them tonight!). I wished I was able to make a run up there to look at some places, & maybe meet a couple of folks. I'm still in the legal process with my accident. It'd be great if "phase 1" came along soon (and there's a pretty good chance it may). If that's the case....it might just be road-trip time /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif to do alittle scouting.

Thanks again Paul!

Brian

84GMCJimmy- The potholes left here....we call 'em BASEMENTS! Besides that, here we repave roads....then come right back & cut them up to run pipes & things. Then once they're all patched-up, they're pretty much the same as they were before being repaved /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif An average road-patch crew is about 6 guys....1 driving the truck, 1 spreading cold-patch, and 4 standing with their shovels under their chins /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. Ah....those tax dollars hard at work

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Brian, about roads here, instead of repaving the whole road, they only repave 3/4 of one side of the yellow line. Its weird. Theres a few places like that up by my house.

I looked at the houses you posted Paul, and I like them too, although I couldn't get used to using an outhouse all the time /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I looked at the houses you posted Paul, and I like them too, although I couldn't get used to using an outhouse all the time /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And I thought you Canadians were tough! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Just messin' w/ya Steve /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Well, my mom isn't to much of an outdoor's person. So now that my dad is passed, I don't camp, or use outhouses much anymore. I'm a city slicker sort of /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

16. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    An average road-patch crew is about 6 guys....1 driving the truck, 1 spreading cold-patch, and 4 standing with their shovels under their chins . Ah....those tax dollars hard at work

[/ QUOTE ]

What's orange and sleeps 6?

City works truck...

Old but funny.

One thing nobody has mentioned much is gun control up here. There is a fair amount of gun ownership, but the great majority are hunting rifles. Hand guns you just don't hardly see ('cept for the cops...) The gun laws here are probably a bit more restrictive.

Car insurance is pretty much the same in Canada as the US...unless you move to BC where we have a government run monolpolized insurance provider called ICBC.

Rene

17. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

HA! Must have been an oldie Rene, I hadn't heard that one.

I was looking around alittle yesterday (on the internet) and did run across some info regarding guns. Do you know of a site where I can find alittle more info? The majority of my guns are handguns. Thanks!

I think we have government run insurance here too.....we call it State Farm. At least that's who the laws here protect the most /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. tRustyK5

Lemme do a search.

Rene

19. tRustyK5

20. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

Thanks Rene /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif