Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interesting 1/2 ton u joint upgrade

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 30, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

http://www.trbmachine.com/axlejoints.htm

Noticed Dan Dibble talking about this places axles for his Rockwells and went to take a look. Looks like they have some half ton upgrade with double splined shafts and bolt in u joints. Anyone know anything about this place or these? Yes I know about Sunray Engineering doing a similar setup for 60s.

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Okay, I'm going to ask a dumb question. What's the advantages to the axle joints? I understand the bolt-in u-joints, easy to change but are the stronger? What is the double splined thing about?

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the shaft is all buy its self. the yokes can be changed from the shafts. and a big wast of money in my eyes. if it gets that bad the 2 1/2 ton rockwells will be under my ride.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The advantage I see is if you don't twist the splines you and you bust a Ujoint you just change a yoke instead of full stub or inner shaft. No idea about strength on these.

5. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

The problem still lies with the U-Joint being the weakest link. Any time there are needle bearings involved, they will deform causing failure of the part (for our uses).

I also have a problem with the double splined shafts. It sounds like a great idea, but from what I have seen, it makes the whole assembly weaker when used with an alloy aftermarket joint. The shafts are plenty strong and more more than likely never have a problem, but the yokes tend to split in half.

I seriously doubt these shafts are just a whole lot cheaper than Superiors, and Yukon shafts might even be less expensive. Anyone know a price on these?