Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interesting '74

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BAJA_BLAZER, Sep 25, 2006.

1. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

2. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Wow..theyve got some time and money invested in that bad boy.

3. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

haha just saw that..pretty cool.
    whats with the bolt funky cage

4. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

actually i dont really like it that much now that i look at it. well i wouldnt mind having it but theres def things i'd do differently..like the cage..no really bolt to gether things and continue tubing.. the dash is nice but would blind the ship out of you. and its just coiled...again i guess i wouldnt mind haveing it.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Theres some rocket scientist engineering planned into that when they leave the front axle alone with 6 lug pattern and employ a Ford 9" rear with 5 lug pattern. Two sets of rims to haul. :doah: :surepal:

And then the Cali trend of forward rake stance. Nose high in other words. I will never understand why the west coast guys build and drive their rides like that. :screwy:

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Nose high comes from trying to get as much travel in the front as possible. Can only go up so far, then you gotta move the wheels down at ride height to get the desired up travel. Keep in mind that desert trucks are generally set up with ~60% of their total travel in the up direction while crawlers are usually set up with 60% or more in the down direction. The rear is much easier to get the same travel out of w/o going as high. Not saying it's the right way to do things, just that it's what tends to happen with amature builders.

Then there's the "Trust Fund Truck" crowd who tend to concentrate on the front and leave the rear stock. :confused: :screwy:

As to the bolted sections, that's left over from some trucks being built with a joint like that at the top rear of the cab. I'm not completely sure they need to be there, but the design does have a following. In this case I think it is misapplied b/c the total structure is not as long as a truck.
    Dig up the pics I posted a while back of the cage Total Chaos did in a K5. It doesn't have those bolted joints.

7. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

does that thing have 5 lug rear and 6 lug front?

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Sorta contradicts the "Premeir Build" claim don't it?

9. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

What he said, and -
    Having the rear lower makes a truck much more stable at speed. Speed is common in the desert, even if you're not racing. Often lots of ground to cover. When you wanna slide the tail around a corner, the rear will try to roll instead of slide if it's too high.

10. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

I've always had a soft spot for prerunners and the sand, and this being a K5, just about breaks my heart. Where's 10 g's when you need it?