Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

interesting blazer pic

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lebowski, Jan 19, 2005.

1. lebowski

lebowski Registered Member

Saw this on ebay and thought it looked pretty interesting. Anyone know anymore info on how to get a camper like that? I know back in the early 80's gm introduced the.. chalet?? I think that's the name. Anyway, This camper top looks like something a bit different. I want one! Anyone know how to get one? Hope the link works.

Link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4518270398

Item # if the link doesn't work:

Picture should everything else not work:

[​IMG]

2. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I think it's a Chalet, but I was thinking the Chalet's were built in the '70's. I don't know. I'm not an expert on the Chalet's. In fact I have never even seen one in real life. I'm sure someone on this site will know for sure. Pretty good looking truck though. Wish they had pics of the inside.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Interesting... all of the Chalet's I've read about have been mid 70's, never as new as an 80. FWIW, the fender emblem is odd but it looks like it says "Blazer". :dunno:

4. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That is not a Chalet. It is a K5 with a pop-up camper on it. Chalets were '76-'77 (I believe--Dremu or azblazer can correct me on that). Chalet campers have windows in the front above the cab.

I think that camper pictured is no longer made.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Your right , NOT a Chalet , the E-bay description even says the Blazer is a 80 and the pop camper is a 1985 add on :D

6. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

isint it just a short box chev camper ?? :thinking:

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Moses is dead on.

Chalets were made 1976 1/2-1977, and are remarkably like the Toyota Chinooks of the era (same factory -- good reason!)

This is a "Four Wheel Drive Camper", I do believe, on a Blazer. Might be a "Hallmark" brand insert, I forget.

The difference between a regular pickup with camper insert and a Blazer with camper is that the camper is open to the cab, so you don't need to squeeze through a cab window, or walk around the outside of the camper, to go fore and aft.

As far as you getting one, they aren't made for the older vehicles any more, so you get to buy them used.

-- A

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't have any idea what it is, but it would be one hell of a cool camping rig.

9. lebowski

a lot of good info. So it sounds like getting my hands on something like this might be a little difficult if they aren't made anymore. Perhaps it would be possible to make a shortbed pickup camper work. A little cutting and renovating might make it more like a chalet. Squeezing through a tiny little window to get to the back doesn't sound like a good time to me.. or possible for that matter. Always a door I suppose.

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

That is deifnetly TRICK!!!!:D

11. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

My firend in New Mexico has one of those....Talk about a great camping rig. Take it into the dessert and you're set. propane heater, propane stove, running water, an icebox...can sleep four. When my truck was stranded in the dessert for a few days last year, I got to drive his around...(his is a '76 3 on the tree with the 84 camper on it) His was buillt buy "four wheel campers" -they're still in business but they don't make the blazer ones anymore. Anyways...it is awesome, I wish I could have one in my yard to put on the blazer for camping trips, then hard top for winter and soft top for summer....that would be so sweet :pimp:

12. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i think it would be pretty difficult to adapt. im pretty sure the short bed box is longer then the "bed" of a K5. just finding a good used one that needs freshening up is a big enough task IMO.

definatly is an awesome rig tho. i think its waay cooler than a chalet. those look a little tacky. this thing is cool. pop ups are where its at if your going to accually drive it on trails.

13. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That would be a 4 wheel unit...they are in buisness but do not offer this camper anymore. Here in colorado i hav eseen alot of them...there are two 71-72 Jimmy's here in town with 4 wheel pop tops...another in boulder in a church parking lot...plus we put one on my friends 84 this summer...:grin: so i know a little bit about them...;)

DW

14. hunter

hunter Registered Member

The chalets were great :)

[​IMG]

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

lol gotta love the factory saggy ass rear end lol

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

No sage on that chalet at all. Rear is sitting a inch high. The rocker is level. The rocker is where you measure to see if its not level.

Theses trucks are football shaped. Its for better airdynamics. Its alos more pleasing to the eye then being absolutely square. They are highest and widest at the B-Piller and taper down in the rear so they have the optical illusion that the rear is low because it slops down as does the reveal line on the body.

17. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

nice pic of a chalet :waytogo:

18. lebowski

You guys are right. That is a 4-wheel unit. I called the company and apparently they are quite rare. Few were made, but the majority were sold out towards the west coast. Possible to find, but not exactly likely and not for cheap is what I was told. But hey, still a pretty cool thought/future investment.

19. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

ha, my friend bought his (with the '76 blazer attached) for $700 not even a year ago, and it's allllll good :grin: (crazy new mexicans don't know what their trucks are worth)