Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interesting civil engineering?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryoken, Mar 29, 2006.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok, I know, civil engineers build targets... :haha: But I'm just curious if anyone knows of interesting or strange things that have been built, maybe by you...

I love this pic I found this morning while doing research on skatable pipes.. This is the overflow or "Glory Hole" at the Monticello Dam in Cali... It just blows me away! Its so cool, I'd love to just hang out and watch it when its flowing like that...

Haha, don't get too close in your boat!

[​IMG]

here is an overview that shows it and the exit pipe downstream

[​IMG]

This is the 30' exit pipe that gets skated...

[​IMG]

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thats pretty cool...

3. ryoken

hehe, I said, Glory Hole.... :haha:

yeah, I'm strange like that.. As a skater your always looking around at things with a different eye....

Not a concrete type thing, but I always thought this thing was kinda odd too..

the arecibo antenna down in i think s. america.. largest antenna in the world..

[​IMG]

4. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

How did the skating go today?

5. ryoken

good, no major slams... thanks for asking... :D

got in some stylish bs smith grinds. Probably my all time fave trick.. They don't look like much, but are such a blast to do...

basically just a stand up, lapped over backside grind...
    [​IMG]

gotta be cool without the insurance... but i'm hoping to put together a roadtrip to skate this in a few weeks down in Maryland..
    [​IMG]

but I'd rather go skate this fine piece of civil engineering... :wink1:
    [​IMG]

6. outsider223

outsider223 1/2 ton status

In Maylasia, they are building a 20 some mile long, 100 ft diameter tunnel that is an over-glorified storm sewer that doubles as a highway tunnel during low flows. There was just some show on TV about it last week.

Otherwise, I only get to build sewer and water projects. Sewer lift stations are fun, cause then I tell people I make **** flow uphill...

7. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

8. ryoken

yeah, thats right I caught that show too, with the tunnel boring machine and stuff.. pretty interesting how they assemble the pipe behind it...

Actually storm and sewer drains are a big part of where this interest comes from. obviously, out skating drainage ditches thru the years has peaked my interest.. Tons of great stuff in the southwest, killer drainage ditches in Texas, New Mexico, etc.. Even some monster underground pipe networks...

99% of the world doesn't quite see something like this, the way I do... :haha:
    [​IMG]

9. ryoken

Now, thats a freaky building!

Here's one for ya..
    [​IMG]

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I worked at the Eastside Reservoir project in Hemet, CA. It is the largest earth fill dam in the US and consists of 2 large end dams and one saddle dam. I worked on the West dam as a Civil Engineer Inspector for grouting, also inspected the tunnel grouting, and alluvial channels. On the East dam I inspected the cut and placement of Dam material, construction of inspection roads, retention basins....

They changed the name after completion of the project. They renamed it to The Diamond Valley Lake. It’s located outside of Hemet, CA.

Here is a link to the trails around the lake http://www.dvlake.com/DVL_trails.pdf

Link to Info of the constrution of the Dams http://www.dvlake.com/general_info09.html

All of the pic's except the 2nd pic was taken at the Clayton A. Record Jr. Veiwpoint.
    [​IMG]

This is the pump house along with the West Dam. I use to drive where all that water is in the back ground...
    [​IMG]

Here is some of the work in progress.... The white trucks are Ford F-150's so you can see the size
    [​IMG]

11. ryoken

Wow, that thing is huge! Reminds me of the show I saw on that huge 3 Gorges Dam they where building in China... I dig stuff like this, musta watched the Hoover Dam documentary 20 times..

hehe, I see some pipes in that second pic too... :wink1:

12. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

13. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Since I dont skateboard, what a ****ing rush it would be to jump in the top of that overflow hole thing in some thing like a bobsled with wheels, and come out the exit doing about mach 3. That would be a glorious way to die.

14. ryoken

haha, can you imagine someone shooting that in a kayak... :eek1: talk about a flume ride! :haha:

I forget what the drop is in ft on that one, but some are a couple hundred feet before they hit the elbow at the bottom.. I skated a much smaller one where you had to repel in about 60' to get to the skate section.. The repel scared me way more than the skating did... :doah:

[​IMG]

15. ryoken

Wow, good link.. I never heard of that dam before.. Cool, learned something new... That dams pretty freakin big..

16. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

man I remember when I used to skate half pipes and pools and 1/4 ramps. I was 14, 15, 16 around that age. this is when skating blew up in the late 70's, early 80's. man does that make me feel old cause it was so long ago. im 38 now, have not been on a board in many years. I remember the pain of slaming the concrete and lots of times and road rash, cool :haha:. as long as your enjoying it keep it up man. wish I had kept skating and bmx riding all these years, but thats life. I rode Skateboard World in Torrance Ca. every weekend when it was open.

cool pics by the way.

17. ryoken

Wow, you where my era then kinda... the early pig boards, Dogtown, etc, cool... Great time in skating, till they dozed all the parks... And yeah, Torrance wow, I remember a ton of photos from that place.. We where always so jeolous of you guys on the west coast... So many good parks... I seem to remember some pretty big bowls at that park... maybe one called the super bowl or something...

I'm gonna have to thumb thru some mags to refresh my memory.. Too bad my scanner doesn't work, I'd scan a bunch of Torrance for a trip down memory lane for ya.. Don't be surprised if I post a bunch at some point...

Ya know it's kinda funny how it's a 50/50 shot whether your body will survive... I know alot of guys that skated into their early 20's and really just had to quit due to the injuries.. Really not there fault or anything, ya just get forced to.. I contemplated it on many an occasion... Guess I'm enough of a masochist or idiot to fight thru it... :doah: :haha:

another goofy piece of wooden engineering from the mid 70's...
    [​IMG]

18. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i have seen one of those, it was a lake in nor cal, prettty crasy sounded like a water fall and looked like a huge toilet:)

it was lake berryessa

19. ryoken

yeah, thats the photo... Lake Berryessa.. Monticello Dam...

hers another of the same... I'd bet it is a freaky noise.. I'd love to check it out in person...

[​IMG]

here it is shallow

[​IMG]

one getting ready to spill

[​IMG]

i like this shot too, kinda creepy..
    [​IMG]

this is a different one... hmm, not sure where shasta lakes is...
    [​IMG]

20. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya it was pretty cool, i was on my bike, i rode up on it and was like WTF? there is a big freaking hole in the lake??????