Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interesting day at work yesterday

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Apr 3, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

YEP

edited for discresion.

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Whoa!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Did they let you all go home after that? Might have made a harrowing experience a pretty good one. Well, if that happened at my job it would have, at least!

Glad you are alright, though! You shoulda flushed it down the toilet like we used to do with cherry bombs in middle school. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Excellent catch! The big brass will love you but I can think of one guy that probably wont send you a Christmas card! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I'm glad you didn't try to open it up.

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

actually water neutralizes it and makes it safe to pour down the drain! But you go ahead and unscrew the lid...I'll watch from a very safe distance!

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Dang!! Glad you didn't open the lid!!

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I probably would have opened the lid and sniffed it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

You'd be surprised how many times that pops up in University labs. Usually someone inherits a lab from the previous owner along with a lot of the chemical stocks and isn't aware it's there for several years. Not a good thing!

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

No you wouldn't have. You would have opened the lid about 1/4 turn and then hit the floor. (or wall) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol, gotta luv chem labs. My dad is a research chemist and I got to work with him for 1 summer a few years back. His lab sometimes looks like there might be unsafe things in it... sorta disorganized to the untrained eye...but my dad is the safety masta. He literally hasnt spilled or broke anything in over 30 years of working in a chem lab... not a single accident or a single injury, even of the most mundane type. I respect my dad a lot for that, pretty amazing record if you think about the discipline it takes to do something like that for so many years without getting complacent. And he doesnt work with weeny chemicals either, lots of types of cyanide and other nasty chems in his lab. In spite of this record, my dad HAS to go to safety classes... ones in which people who have had several accidents try to tell my dad how to work safely. Its a complete joke.. and my dad almost retired early because of all the safety BS that was heaped upon him. Anyway, one funny note... part of my job in his lab was applying new safety labels to all the chemical bottles etc in his lab. I spent about a week very carefully moving/labeling all of the bottles in the rack that had most of the cyanide compounds..... the last day of that week my dad says "oh, btw... if you drop one of those the cyanide anti-dote kit is in that cabinet over there". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif good timing dad! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

13. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I've been in the Environmental, Safety, & Occupational Health arena for 14 years now. Fortunately, I've only seen Picric Acid once. I will say that is is typically featured in HAZWOPER courses for emergency response. It is extremely unstable in the crystal form. I'm glad it turned out good, but could have been ugly.

By the way, since it appears you are new to safety & environmental stuff, let me know if there is anything I can help you with. I am currently working as a governmental compliance consultant. Basically, I get paid to keep companies in compliance with OSHA, EPA, NRC, MSHA, ..... Whatever is needed.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

so do you do just consultation or do you do stuff like waste profiling and stuff like that to?

yeah picric acid is nasty stuff, can cause almost as much excitement as the time my lab partner was heating di-nitrobenzene and forming trinitrobenzene in an unsealed flask over an open flame, good times............

15. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    in compliance with OSHA, EPA, NRC, MSHA

[/ QUOTE ]

funny someone would mention this.....just recently i received word from OSHA that our Rec Center has been randomly selected for the '03 round of compliance/record keeping "program"....basically at the end of '03, they will be requesting that I submit any and all OSHA documentation that was used at my facility in '03. Worst part about this, this also increases our chances for a "random inspection".....guess I better at least get my MSDS sheets up to date huh? I'm sure they'd appreciate knowing the Pool Chemicals etc... have the proper sheets, and that my staff knows where they are and how to read them.

Brandy

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

A true redneck would of taken that jar home. Waited for all the boys to show up, get about 3/4 tanked off whatever adult beverages are handy, then sat that jar of acid about 300 yards out and grabbed the ought-six...........

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A true redneck would of taken that jar home. Waited for all the boys to show up, get about 3/4 tanked off whatever adult beverages are handy, then sat that jar of acid about 300 yards out and grabbed the ought-six...........

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen Bubba!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

My dad is a Bioenviromental Engineer for the airforce and dose that kinda stuff too. Thats why its kinda scary he is over in hell now, must be a reason if you catch my drift.

19. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Funny you say that, I actually asked if this stuff would be stable enough to take to the MKSWSTK5whatever thing and blow up! Their answer was not no, it was HELL NO! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

20. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Cool, many thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I graduated Southeastern Oklahoma State with a B.S. in Occupational safety and health and have had a few years background in a manufacturing plant that helped me get hired. That said, I don't know sh!t about sh!t I've found. But I keep an open mind and am always learning!