Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interesting day....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryoken, Apr 30, 2007.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So friday at work, me and one of the other mechanics take this 55 Ocean sportfish out for a test run...

something like this...

[​IMG]

So we're jamming down the bay doing about 30 mph when the starboard motor temp just goes to about 250 in about 5 seconds, alarm goes off and then she stalls... :eek1:

Now the reason for the eek smilie is the fact this boat has a pair of Detroit, supercharged, twin turbo'd 892's in it.. I've NEVER seen a Detroit just shutdown like that from any heat issue, it's usually siezing or fuel related..

So I go down to take a peek.. Let her sit a bit to cool down, then have the other guy try spinning it... Well, let me tell ya, if you've ever seen a runaway diesel, it's a scary thing.... Especially in a 6' x 10' space with 4 ' ceilings...

Well, it turns out it had a cylinder that was hammered and decided to nuke itself, and in doing so, ruptured the fuel rail that runs above it INSIDE, yes I said inside the valve cover.. Thats how these work, just a lift pump, no injection pump. mechanical rocker fired injectors create their own pressure.. All under the valve cover.. :rolleyes:

Well, what happened was this fuel rail for the injectors was dumping diesel fuel right into the crankcase at a high rate... When we refired it, it was running off it's own crankcase juices going right up into the cylinders... After when I checked the oil level, it was double... :haha:

Thank god, Detoits have an emergency air dam door you can flip, that'll kill it.. Most diesels don't.. Even then, that 4 to 6 seconds it took me to frantically get to the door, were shall we say, heartpounding.. (insert peeing in pants smilie) Freakin thing was on it's way thru the roof...

Scary thought having one of those screaming as much as she'll spin till it grenades... :eek1: :wink1:

Boats a pos, I'm glad this asshat is looking at 30's.....

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

No Thanks. :rotfl:

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

wow, we had a power cart with a detroit diesel runaway, it was cool, the dumbass running it couldent figure out how to shut it down even though there is 2 emer. shutoffs.

it sounded like it was going to explode, the exahust manifold was heat welded to the head, we picked the engine up by the header with no bolts in it.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

At a place where I used to work they had a JD 4045T run away. One of the guys there had re-assembled the IP incorrectly and as soon as they test fired it for the load test it went instant redline. They had nothing nearby to block the intake with and it eventually threw a rod right there on the test stand...:doah:

Needless to say a block off plate became a permanent part of the test procedure inventory after that.

Rene

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

6. ryoken

My head mechanic was at Detroit school and the instructor put a phonebook in front of an intake, it sucked it thru and made confetti... :eek1:

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

holy crap!!!!!

8. ryoken

Thats exactly what I said...

I need them to send me to Detroit school, sounds like fun...

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

no kidding thats something id like to see

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

friend went to school for auto . the class building had a big v12 bolted to a stand to the floor. one kid remaned the ip and did the same thing. luckys instructor was vary smart and stuffed the big big co2 fire extiguisher down its mouth and had just the right amount to stall it out. or that would have left a little hole in the floor. :rolleyes:

11. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

heh had a guy try and shut down a powerchoke once with a clipboard, you know the pressboard kind, it ate it...

12. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

"My diesel ate my homework"

13. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

HAHA! :haha: :haha: