Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interesting gear install incident

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrk5, Nov 19, 2005.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Bear with me, this is little long.

As some of you know, I blew-up my ring and pinion in Moab. On a Saturday no less.

We were able to get it to a local shop, and they were open on Saturday. They put the truck up on a lift right away and found the broken ring gear. They had gears overnighted in and installed by Tuesday.

We made the 300+ mile trip home okay. Although I thought the rearend was a little noisier, but not terrible and it was only when coasting. I noticed after we were home that the pinion seal was leaking.

I was going to replace the seal myself, but I got paranoid about screwing something up or that there was something wrong with the gear install.

I took it to a local shop, and had them take a look at it.

Well, there was a problem with the gear install, but the local shop said it really wasn't necessarily the Moab shop's fault.

Here's the interesting info: Apparently the pinion came from the manufacturer a little too large in diameter. So the Moab guys couldn't get the pinion installed properly and the crush sleeve wasn't crushed enough. They tried to use shims to make it work, which it did for a while, but the pinion eventually loosened up on the drive home to the point where it was making the seal leak.

The local shop used a lathe to take a little off the pinion, and it went in fine. He said that he sees gears come in like that every once in a while.

I don't want to mention the name of the shop in Moab. What happened is irritating, but I feel, and the local shop feels, that they made the mistake because they were in a hurry. Which to me means they were trying to get the job done for me so that I could get home on time. The Moab shop was friendly and would have even fixed my truck that Saturday if they had the parts, and you know how quality can fall off when there's a rush.

I just thought the info about the pinion size being off was interesting. Of course they are Genuine Gears, which I've later found out is not a very good brand. At least it has a lifetime no questions asked replacement warrantee. :crazy:

2. mrk5

Oh, and flame on 1/2ton haters! :tongue1:

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Genuine Gears: another part on my list to avoid.

Well at least it's all patched up, who did the lathe work? And does this mean you have matching gears yet?

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I ran into that same issue with Genuine Gear about 7 years ago and i took them back where i got them and made them get me a different brand of gear after i showed them the fact on the mismade gears. I brought along my calipers and mic and measured it in front of them so they would believe me. Genuine Gear should be renamed to Genuine Junk. :D

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Genuine Gear is one of those rebox brands . My Genuine Gear Quic Loc which is actually a Detroit EZ Locker , started popping during straight ahead driving , and I could make it stop for awhile by changing shims or springs , but it kept coming back . Its going in the trail rig now , since it works off pavement :rolleyes:

6. mrk5

The mechanic shop I took it too did the lathe work. They do everthing there is to do on a car except paint, so they have pretty much any tool or equipment.

I'm working on the front axle now. I have a donor that I need to swap 6-lug outers onto, and I'm replacing the ball joints and axle shaft joints. It's a factory 4.55 D44 that I picked up with a matching 14bolt that I'll keep as a backup.

And I prefer the red panties.

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

:haha: :rotfl: :rotfl: :laugh: Caught on pretty quick for a low brow. :D