Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

interesting news to me

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MTChevy, Aug 5, 2006.

1. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Im sitting in a motel room with 2 of my buddies. We are in Wyoming getting set up with a place to live while school is in session. We just got an apartment. My first encounter with renting anything. Its a really nice place. Do any of you have any suggestions or tips or comments on renting an apartment? like what to look for? It was a little pricey but its a bigger place than the house i live in now! well not really but it does have a fireplace that isnt a fireplace but looks like a fire place and has fire

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Bearskin rug.

3. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Watch out for places with a high deposit, that also want 1st and last rent. Usually means they have a high turnover, and high turnovers usually mean badness. Crime, poor management, poor maintenence and such.

4. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

Ask the prior owners if they ever rubbed one out in the bathroom sink. If so, let one of your buddies have that bathroom and then tell him when he moves out :P

5. MTChevy

:haha: :haha: :haha:

6. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Sweet! Start stockpiling the booze.

7. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

a bigger place will also have bigger heat bills. Are you in Laramie?

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Do you know how to fix drywall??? If so I would imediately find a prostitute and disassemble her with a rusty butterknife and hide her in one of your roomates walls, that would be funny...

9. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

LMFOA!!!

Look for water damage under the sinks, around the tub and toilet, check the roofing, ask what kind of timeline you'd be looking at if there was a repair needed, ask why the prior tenants moved, ask about previous pest problems. Ask if you can install another lock. Pets?

10. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Forget the prostitute, I have the perfect vict.....err, candidate. My shop at the farm was broken into last week, they (he) got my tools and four wheeler. I know who it was, but the cops don't seem too interested. Hows about I supply the vict....candidate, you guys do the rest?
    Jimbo

11. MTChevy

very interesting replies guys haha... Yeah MNorby, Laramie

12. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Get renters insurance, saved my butt once

13. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Definitely renters insurance. Take lots and lots and lots of pictures before you move in. This will help prove anything was there prior to you taking over and insure you get the deposit back.

14. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Check with the local PD for crime stats for the neighborhood. Especially ask for residential and car burglary statistics. Most cops won't be forthcoming officially on what neighborhoods are ****holes, but sometimes they will give you some anecdotal information. If you ask where they would or would not live, that can be illuminating.

15. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Laramie isn't exactly high class living :haha:

I don't have any tips for you...

16. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Yeah, doesn't really matter where you end up in Laramie. High turnover everywhere. I was lucky enough to rent a room in a house with some locals. Are you in "student housing" or did you get an apt. on your own?

17. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Take pictures of EVERY wall in the apartement before you move a single box into the place. Take pics of the carpet and tile. Take specific pictures of any minor damage. This is for you protection against the rental company. Then get renters insurance. I think each person will need their own policy. And take pictures of EVERYTHING that you own, from your toothbrush to your Rolex. Take all of these pics, put them in a safedeposit box in a bank and leave them there for safe keeping.

This all sounds very paranoid, but I have been in bad rental situations and I have had thing stolen from me. These two precautions are worth all the hassle and minor bit of expense.

As far as living in the apartment. Don't paint, don't make any permanent alterations to the rooms. And if you install things in the walls make very small holes or use those adhesive hangers that pull off without removing the paint.

And finally, and I tell you this from a bachelors standpoint. Pool your money and hire a cleaning lady to come in every two weeks to do your bathroom, vacuum, and dust. I did it when I was living in Cincinnati and I was subletting 3 rooms. She was the best money every spent. I don't care if you are 'clean', you are a guy and you are a lazy ass. So just admit it and find a local cleaning person. The lady that cleaned my place was totally cool and would do the dishes and take out trash and everything. She rocked!!!

Good Luck

18. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you have a radio in your car/truck take it out everytime you get out. Find a place that lets you work on cars in the parking lot. I got fined 4 times for having my blazer on jackstands with no front axle :) And plastic over the windows helps alot in winter time.

19. MTChevy

we got an apartment through one of the relators

20. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree with a few of the posts - Get Renters Insurance.