Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

interesting oil filter problem...

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JoshA, Jun 25, 2001.

1. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

I went to change my oil the other day and had a problem finding the correct oil filter. every time I changed it before I just looked at the number on the filter and bought the same brand, no problems.

well, this time I decided I wanted a fram filter, so I looked the number up in the book and bought a filter, only it was the wrong one. I assumed that the engine came from a different year so I tried to cross-reference the number from the one I had but I couldn't find this filter on any GM application, so I called the filter company and asked them what vehicle it went on, and guess what...its for a f*rd 302! I pulled it off of my Chevy 350, I have no idea why that is the one that fits, but when I bought the fram filter for a f*rd 302 it screwed right on.

if anyone can tell me how this happened I'd really like to hear it.

2. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

The owners before you must have been communist. Yeah must have, that sounds like something them damn commies would do.

Rasberry 71' K/5 Blazer
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/71blazer>http://www.geocities.com/71blazer</A>

3. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Josh,

The problem is that you are using a Fram filter on your chevy. use a Dana filter. Frams are OK for air, but never for oil.

How about a picture of that beauty yellow beast with the softtop?

HarryL

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

As Harry said, Fram oil filters aren't really all that good until you get into their racing filters. Personally, I'd stick with an AC Delco PF-35.

5. Dan71gmc

Dan71gmc Registered Member

Have you guys had a bad eperience with fram oil filters? I have been running fram on all 7 of my vehicles, and used fram filters for 20 years now with no problems. The vehicles I have with high mileage run as well as those with low mileage(if 70,000 is considered low by today's standards). Canister filters for my big trucks I usually purchase through NAPA. I'd like to know what problems you have had, maybe there is some info out there that will convince me to switch. BTW a Fram PH13 fits small block chevy.

6. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

i'll have to work on that harry. no pics avaliable right now. maybe I'll get a chance to get up there to let you see it in person soon.

orange4x4: yeah, a ph13 should fit but a p8b is the one that fit on mine. go figure...

7. fatdog

fatdog Registered Member

orange 4x4, do a search on here for "oil filter study" klier posted a link on 6/22/01 for it. There are some other post about it as well. Good info.

Rob

Self and Spouse Proclaimed GM Junkie
    She thinks I'm Sick and... She's Right

8. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Who put that Ford motor in your Chevy? HMMM, If it is a Chevy 350, then it sounds like you might have the wrong oil filter adapter. That is the little metal assy that the filter screws onto. It is held in the block by two screws. You could remove it and take to an auto parts store to compare it with a known Chevy unit. Of course, I'm probably totally off base. JT

9. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

jst12: actually I think that you are exactly right, I just didn't know that a f*rd adaptor would screw onto a chevy oil pump. when I get more time I may try and fix it but right now I've got bigger fish to fry. just thought that this was an odd problem that you guys might find interesting.

10. Dan71gmc

Dan71gmc Registered Member

Just read that oil filter study. WOW!!! Well at least I have been using some of the NAPA Gold filters already.Think I'll go return the Fram ones I have on hand. Thanks for the info guys!!