Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interesting Radio Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Today I was messing around pulling into the driveway. I shifted into 4Hi and my radio died. I thought I had blown the fuse again as I blew a couple fuses on the way back from Colorado. I would play CD's for a couple hours on a high power setting and it would heat up and after awhile blow a fuse.

So I thought it was a fuse. But when I shifted it back to 2Hi my radio kicked back on. Then shifted back to 4hi and no radio. My truck will only run the radio in 2hi and shuts if off in 4x4 (hi or low).

I am thinking it is some wiring behind the dash because my 4x4 and Low Range lights aren't coming on in the respective positions anymore either. Anyone had this problem or have a solution? Thanks

Harley

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Sound's to me like, when You shift into low range, there is an open circuit, causing no light to come on, and no tune's, probe around with a test light, with the key in the run position, and the t-case, in low, and then in high. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

wires for the 4wd shift indicator run under the carpet and up to the IP...just some food for thought...on gm units when the tcc solenoid develops problems static will be heard in the radio..did you run some wires for the radio under the carpet??

DW

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Actually, sounds like you have one of the rarest of rare K5's. Back in the day, GM was always thinking of new and crazy stuff and one thing they came up with was a safety feature. This safety feature was a switch that turned off the radio once the vehicle was put into 4wd. The people at GM thought that a person who had to use 4wd shouldn't be distracted by a radio.

Anyway, GM didn't say anything to anyone, they just recorded the VIN numbers anytime the K5 came into the shop. Furthermore, if the owner brought the truck in with that exact complaint, the dealer would take the switch out w/o telling the owner, it was always "something else."

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Well I kinda doubt that. I have had the radio on many times when it was in 4x4. This is the first time it has ever happened. Wish that was my problem.

Harley

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The wiring for the shift indicator runs under the carpet and up the fire wall. My bet is somebody tapped into the wire lookinf for power for the stereo instead of just pluging into one of the dozen or so open slots in the fuse box.