Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

interesting

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dumbfounded, May 27, 2000.

1. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

I know this doesn't deal with my k5 but it may be relevent to you guys with fuel injection.
    On my 95 slowmaro I have a problem with the engine smoking (from the tailpipe) only when it idles for a few minutes when hot. It doesn't smoke when starting up but once it smokes and I take off it goes away then when I slow down it takes a few minutes then it smokes till you get going. My engine guru friend said it was the rings (I thought it was valve seals but not smoking when starting up puzzled me). He asked if it had overheated before yes it was he said if the rings get over heated they will loose tension and while going down the road the O2 sensor things the motor is running rich then leans out so it turns the burning oil into ash when at an idle the engine can only lean so much to keep it running hense the smoke. He said this happened to his 86 chevy p/u with a 350 and tbi. He said he finally figured it out when his $30,000 bass boat was covered in oil ash the first time he towed it. Just thought I'd pass it along...(man I wish it were the valve seals!)

Blood, sweat, tears, and lots of money is what keeps the k5 alive.

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Did you run a compression test? If so, did it reveal anything interesting? Apparently my brother's 86 camaro may need an engine rebuild soon. What are you going to do with your engine? Order a kit from PAW or summit?

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

3. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

No I didn't run a compression test. As for the engine I've got a 3.8 so there isn't many options from any place other than the dealer unless I do it myself.

I didn't fart.....

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

That's too bad you're stuck with the dealer. My brother's Camaro is the Iroc Z28 with 5.0L engine. That means we've got tons of options. It sinks you in your seat even with that tired engine.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]