Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Intergral roll bar

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tbill, Sep 6, 2004.

1. tbill

tbill Registered Member

In the specifications page on this site, it notes Blazers have an intergral roll bar built into the front cab section. Has anyone actualy seen one of these roll bars? Just how strong is it?

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i have never cut the cab off one, but i believe there is no round stock in there. it is the way the sheet metal is stamped that gives the 1/2 cab its strength. it is basically almost as strong as a pick-up cab.

i wouldn't trust it to protect me in a hard roll.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I just cut the top off mine and there isn't crap in there that I would call a roll cage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

That is how the "roll bar" looked in my '87 when I chopped the top. I've seen how pickups look after a good roll... I would not trust this in anything but a slow roll, even then I wouldn't want to be inside. That reminds me, I need to start working on a roll cage for mine soon. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I just cut the top off mine and there isn't crap in there that I would call a roll cage.
    [​IMG]
    [image]

http://coloradok5.com/photos/data/500/11462xx_1_.JPG[/image]

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the gage of that center peice and look at the gage of the body. That's the roll bar. That peice of the roof that the hard top bolts too has a waffle peice. It's far better then most espically the Pick up. There is nothing in the roof of a pick up just outer skin and inner pannel.

There are a few pictures of rolled K5's in here and they hold up remarkably well. I think it was Wakeboarder that flipped his at hwy speed and it did like 2-3 rolls still strapped to a 10k trailer. Looked like hell but concidering what it went through it did remarkably well. The half tops at some point also got a stamped steel "roll bar" around the back opening.

6. tbill

tbill Registered Member

That's about what I figured it would look like. Better than nothing. I don't intend to roll the K-5, I'll leave that to you young guys. LOL