Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interior color ideas?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Nov 12, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

ahhhh, it's been nice to have the week off... Dragging sheetrock and wonderboard around, scrubbing the working bathroom, finally finishing the trim on the completed rooms, dealing with a psychotic wife that is having the event of the year tomorrow (daughters birthday party, oh heavens the other mothers from school will be here!).

Anyway....I'm currently painting the stairs and railings. They were painted, then carpeted, then I ripped up the carpet and it's been nasty worn out paint since then, til earlier this week when I started priming.
    The white trim in the pictures is going to be a shade of white, and the steps are the original poop brown. I want to change that, but I have no idea what color will work. The brown looks good to me, but nothing else in the house is that brown, so I was thinking maybe a lighter tan to match the oak flooring.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thoughts?

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i'd try to match the oak floor,or maybe paint foot prints and watch people try and follow them /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My idea would involve quite a bit more work. But I wouls strip off all the paint, and use a nice wood stain. It would mean also doing it too the railings. But a nice matching wood stain all around the house would look really nice.

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Dark hunter green /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

You're just talking about the steps right?

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Either match the oak floor for all of it, or take the lighter brown on the wall for the riser part of the step and the darker glaze color for the actual step, then paint all the trim on the sides of the staircase the trim color you will use throughout

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I like that one the best, Skigirl, but it sounds like a lot more work... I think that's probably what I'll go with if the wife gives it a /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Thanks!

Paul, the floor guy wanted I think $700 to do the stairs and the landing in natural wood, but I'm fine with paint. This guy did my friends stairs, and I didnt' like the way it came out. I can't heat or chemical strip the steps, either, it's some kind of wierd oil paint that's really soaked into the wood.
    I like natural, but I'd rather use that cash somewhere else...Like the leaking roof above my rifle safe or flooding driveway...

Jeff, the green *would* sound good, but sometime in the 30's or 40's someone put a green scheme in this house, and we unearth green often enough that we're sick of it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. Now that you mention it, I'm actually surprised they went with brown on the stairs instead of green...

Thanks for the replies yall /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Ratch, maybe not as much work as you might think. Match the base coat on the wall, then use a lighter transparent glaze over it for the riser and darker on the steps. You can even drag the steps for more of a wood look and hardly anyone would know it wasn't wood. it's so much easier to do all of that now that faux finishes are in every hardware store on earth. Good luck! Pics when done, OK? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif