Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interior Door Panels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LA Bogger, May 30, 2002.

1. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

Has anybody had any problems with Coverlay or LMC interior door panels vs. OEM? Just checking before I start. Thanks for any info.. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Eat More Mud!!!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've never had problems, but if you look at LMC's catalog, last I checked, they had a little disclaimer that they weren't "exact" replacements or something. IMO, if you want the RIGHT part, go with GM. If you really aren't concerned with fit, finish, or quality, go aftermarket. Some times that matters, sometimes it doesn't.

The way GM's replacement parts are going now though (made in Taiwan, etc) the fit, finish, and quality of even GM replacements are getting worse. STILL better than aftermarket in almost all cases though.

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a Coverlay dash and door panels, they have been installed for about 6 years with no problems. The only thing I noticed is, when they get hot (mine are black), they expland and warp a little, but when they cool down, they go back into shape....probably because they are made of ABS Plastic, but other than that, the fit and quality is good! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. ZfromNJ

ZfromNJ Registered Member

I bought the door panels from LMc and they are not very good. My windows bounce around a lot.

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So you can can door panels from GM? I thought they were discontinued. I'd love to get a PN for these if it exists.

Sorry to break into your post Paul. I thought it might help everyone. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

John

6. dyeager535

*That* I'm not sure of...if anyone wants to check, post a part number for one (likely GM stocks only one color, one style, such as brown non PW, non PDL) and I can check. So could anyone else by going to www.gmpartsdirect.com

I was thinking more along the lines of salvaging stock ones off of another truck, but GM is always the best option for brand new parts that fit like they should. I mean come on, aftermarket hasn't figured out how to mold plastic yet??

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

how does that affect your window? the interior panel has nothign todo with the windws.... ?unless after 77 they changed it....?
    grant

8. dyeager535

Well, at least '81-up, the inside of the window rides on the felt strip stapled to the top of the door panel. I'm surprised I haven't broken a window slamming mine without door panels, the window moves a good 1/4-1/2" or so without it, and CAN hit the metal of the door.

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

k, i see what you are saying. you are right.
    my bad.
    grant

10. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I checked with my local dealer for some 91 grey door panels. They wanted like 600 dollars EACH.

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

try Cheyenne pickup parts...someone may kow the web address, I don't htough. thye are supposed to be real good.

12. ZfromNJ

ZfromNJ Registered Member

THe door panels seem to be a lot looser then the original door panels were. They do not exactrly fit either. As stated before I didnt relize that they put that little disclaimer that the panels were not exact replicas.

13. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Someone is jerking your chain hard. I haven't looked in a while but the last time I looked them up they were about $110.00 ea. I'll check and post back.
    Jim

14. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Early models about 107.00 ea. Late models 78.00 bucks ea.
    Jim