Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interior Door Panels

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cleszkie, Mar 6, 2003.

1. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

Is it a direct swap to use interior door panels from a 71 on my 72 K5? I know the 72 model uses plastic panels with plastic push fasteners, and that the 71 model uses metal panels with screws. What type of mounting hardware or mods am I looking at?

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I think they would line up but the 71 are diff looking then the 72, the 71's are flat were the 72's have a texture and thicker wall on the bottom...I can look in my books tonight..you can look through this

http://truckandcarshop.com/

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

'72 is a unique year....

If you check the parts books you'll see that the window regulator is unique on the '72. I think that's because of the armrest/panel change and the fact that the window crank post needs to be longer to fit through the new panel.

If you put a '71 panel on the '72 my guess is that the window crank will stick out farther than you're expecting and may look weird. I'll be curious to see a pic if you try it though.....I was planning on swapping in the '69/70 panels onto my '72. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

As stated above, the 72 is a unique year. I have a 72 with stock door panels in good shape that I will be needing to get rid of here before long... I am replacing the 72 doors with 71 doors. I made some door panels for those from hardboard (not cardboard) cut into the right shape, 1/4" dense foam and marine vinyl... cost me about $15.00 per door... The 71's attach with a chrome strip at the top (slip in) and 4 bolts at the bottom. the 72's were more "modern" with the little plastic tabs along the edges and a couple little screws.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif