Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interior Getting Stripped

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 10pax, Feb 10, 2006.

1. 10pax

10pax Registered Member

I haven't posted in a while but there is good rreason...The truck is getting the inside completely stripped of paint and refinished. I found some really great stuff too. It comes from Autozone. It's called aircraft remover. I'm sure you guys already know about it. I was using the can stuff first which worked fine but when I decided to get the brushon kind it really came alive. This stuff is awsome!!!. It really is taking a lot of time off the stripdown. Just don't get it on anything you don't want stripped though. I plan to strip down to the metal and prime and then put some of that bedliner from walmart on it before i put the insulation and carpet down. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. I will post some pics tonight. I have taken a few throughout the process. I will be putting some RUST FIX on the rusty areas too. Not bad rust just surface stuff. The rockers and front floor pans got replaced last week.

James

2. AV8

AV8 Registered Member

I tried some of that bedliner stuff from Walmart and was not impressed.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

aircraft stripper has been the be all-end all in stripper for about 25 yrs....

we used to spray it thru undercoat guns on boat bottoms to strip bottom paint...

i like when ya get a can thats been sitting around awhile and it gets like funky green and orange blobs in it....

best prime setups for bare steel are zinc chromate then some epoxy primer... the zinc is actually very worth it for its self etching at a minimal cost.. you can pick up 2 spray bombs for $10 and have enough.. ya just need a couple piss coats.... available in qrts/gals too... then just some standard epoxy primer..

i got Herculiner... haven't used it yet, but its real cheap and have heard great things about it...

4. 10pax

10pax Registered Member

I really would love to get the Hurculiner but that stuff is 90 bucks for the box of stuff at autozone. I'm not worried about texture or anything cause I'm just gonna cover it with insulation and carpet. Do you think it will still be bad stuff just for a coating function only? Nobody will ever see any of it. I do plan to put a coat on the bottom 12 inches of the outside but that will definately be top end stuff.

Thanks for the primer trick. I will definately do that. I was considering it anyway but just needed some comfirmation.

Thanks for the replies. Keep em comming. I'm in the middle of this monster right now and will be checking between coats. You guys are the pros and I could use all the advice I can get. I will probably do the liner tommarrow hopefully.

Jamres

5. ryoken

yeah, if ya just wanna go the spray bomb route on the zinc prime you can get zinc at most marine stores and some auto stores in rattle can... any bodyshop supply will have it in qrts, etc... stuff like this... http://www.skygeek.com/a7-6889a.html

as far as an under carpet insulator, etc.... well, the only real world i can give you is that for decades THE best thing you could use was the good 3M undercoat.. and i mean only the good stuff, has green lettering on the can.... drys hard, not soft... not your average rubberized undercoating.. pricey tho, stuff runs about $10 a can.. not even sure if its still in production..

but even at that i would tell ya for ultimate corrosion protection a good urethane single stage paint over the primer instead of, or before the bedliner/undercoat is best.. but lots of folks get away with just bedliner over primer...

i'm sure the cheap bedliner would prolly be ok.. you can get very good deal on the herculiner if ya watch for the sales and rebates... i've seen it as low as 40 to $60..

and whatever epoxy primer ya run, i'd suggest running over it with a red scuff pad to promote good adhesion...

6. 10pax

10pax Registered Member

You say a urethanre paint is the best??? I have a quart of 2 stage paint and some clear to go with it. Would that work? The lady at car quest gave it to me so i could experiment with my paint sprayer gun thingy i bought a couple weeks ago. it is dupont. Ive been dying to use this thing but didnt have anything to paint yet. I dont care if the overspray gets on the truck cause it needs to be repainted anyway. if thats the case, i have 2500 watts of halogen to heat up the tiny one car garage i have and i would just get after it then. Let me k now if this would work on the zink primer too.

james

7. ryoken

oh, yeah, sure, if your just looking for corrosion protection. seals it up way better than a bedliner would.. good practice place too.. hehe, pour it on!!

so what ya have a basecoat/ clearcoat in Dupont? is it chromabase? little more work that than just a single stage color, but sure, why not if its free.. qrts not much tho.. proly barely do an entire floor decently..

ya really wanna some sort of regular epoxy fill prime under it, on top of zinc.. maybe pick up a couple cans of the zinc and 3 or 4 cans of some epoxy primer... obviously some mixable epoxy prime thru a gun is far superior to cans, but then ya get into more money... but you can, in a pinch paint right over the zinc, just go a little heavier with it....

also if ya go that route, you can just do wet on wet applications.. zinc, let it flash off, epoxy, let it flash off, paint.... no sanding required....

8. 10pax

10pax Registered Member

yes its the chromabase with select clear with a slow dry activator. the lady said it would be more forgiving especially in this kind of weather. i am putting a flapper wheel on the steel before anything goes on and of course acetone to clean it all up too.

james

9. ryoken

acetone works, but ya gotta watch it sometimes.... it'll eat into stuff sometimes and soften it, potentially causing issue with primers, etc... not to mention its nasty to work with...

i always use denatured alcohol for all degreaser/ cleanup work... cleans as well or better than acetone, thinner, etc, much, much user friendly.. and will not soften things.... damp towel/dry towel method is best, with paper towels...

10. ryoken

and feel free to pm me thruout it if ya got any questions... :D

11. ryoken

just shot ya a pm....

12. 10pax

10pax Registered Member

thanks for the invite i may just keep a window open then cause i probably will have more questions. i just paid 380 to get new rockers inside and out and the front floor pans done. i dont want to have to do it again so i want to do this right. heres a pic of the pass side after the metal was thouroughly cleaned before primer. i will have to get that primer off i guess to put the zink on it.

S NEW INNEROUTER ROCKER AND FLOOR PAN 2 shrunk.JPG

13. ryoken

looks good... but if ya have some decent primer on it, just leave it.. just spot zinc on any bare steel if ya want... its nice to have it, but not nescesary..

i'd scuff that primer up tho with a scuffy before painting tho...