Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interior help!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChrisM72beast, Jun 4, 2001.

1. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

Here is the problem.
    I need some new seats for Dabeast. I'm looking for a highback reclining type that is heavy duty enough to be
    able to deal with the elements fairly well. I'm not totally against a slightly used set but thats not my preference.
    Searching online hasn't helped much so I'm coming to you guys.
    Am I going to need to cu$tom in$tall them?
    Does anyone know in SoCal a place that specializes in this?
    Do I need my old hardware?
    Am I a tool for asking all these questions?
    Help, please.

2. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

Dude, I would cruise the local junkyards till I found the kind of seats that do those functions you like, then get them reconditioned at a seat shop. Unless you can do that yourself. You will probably have to fab some kind of mounting but in the end you will have accomplished something unique. I find the concourse d'elegance-if you ain't factory stock. you ain't sh*t-approach tiresome and boring. Do your own thing and have fun with it. I've had '69 T-Bird electric buckets in my '68 stepside for years. (Although I have a low opinion of F*rd electronics).
    If you're thinking of going topless a lot, Wet Okole seats makes waterproof covers. They're in Hawaii--they deal with surfers. If they hold up to that kind of animal abuse they might be OK.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I looked at some aftermarket seats for my K5 too. I was pretty disappointed with the "cheapness" of the seats and the plasticky knobs and levers that feel very out-of-place in a K5 which uses almost NO plastic in the interior. It just seemed like the wrong thing aesthetically to do.

Also, I am guessing that almost any seat with a reclining feature is going to have trouble in a K5 due to the "step" behind the seats going into the bed area. The seat back will certainly hit it, it's a question of how far back you normally sit....the further back you sit, the less the 'recline' feature will work.

If your K5 is mostly original, you could fab up some mounting brackets that would utilize the original mounting holes and then mate up to the new seat bolt pattern. I have also seen guys build rollcages with integral seat mounting points in the cage....so if you are going to the other extreme (non-stock) maybe you could do that too. If you check out "Readers Rides" on this site 'Project Money Pit' shows this type of seat/rollcage setup.

Good Luck

-Greg72

4. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

I'm not exactly endorsing it but the previous owner installed some kind of hi-back buckets that recline on my rig. I can't ID what they came out of (late '60s VW??) but they do recline. Nice feature on a roadtrip. What's funky is the 4"x4" length of wood block that the seatframe rear bottom is lag bolted into (!).
    I know I'd get dinged hard by the originality police at any concourse event but I stay away from those things anyway. Since it still holds the seats down I'm not messing with it yet.
    I did restore the door lock/button interior, latches, control lever, and relay rods that the last owner deleted for what ever reason. It's nice to just lift the button lock to let a friend in instead of hopping out and unlocking the pax door.

5. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

My truck is about a 5 on the originality scale. If you saw the paint job maybe less so thats not a problem. I noticed Steve Chins friend has Corbeau seats. How are those things. Anybody got any feedback on those. I don't mind spending the high bucks if there worth it.

6. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Thge wet okale seat covers are cool looking but think about this. If you rig is gonna be topless.... have you ever smelled a wet suit before? I am a clammer and i can tell you that they stink after the have been wet, thats after you wash them all out mind you. Those seat covers are neoprene which is the same as what wetsuits are made from. I bet they would hold up well but they would indeed smell from rain sweat etc plus neoprene will hold the water too. Just something to consider before laying out 100 beans for a set.

Chris =)
    http:// www.roostr84.coloradok5.com

7. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The Corbeaus aren't water-proof, that's for sure. They're upholstered in a cloth weave that is breathable. They're very comfy to sit in even on a hot day. They also hold you in them when the truck is tilted to the side or bouncing around. That makes them hard to get into, though.