Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interior Light

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cmoe, Dec 24, 2000.

1. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

My interior light works with the pin switches but it doesn't work when I turn the switch. Anyone have anyideas?

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I've got the same problem..............think it is the switch in the dash. Let me know if you figure it out............I haven't messed with it cause I have a nice map light, but will get around to it.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

3. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

which interior light? all of them? i got 3 in mine. the first thing i would check is the fuses. then the bulbs. after that it tends to get complicated.

Phil from K.C.
    1982 K5 Blazer Silverado
    Built in Flint, Michigan-January 1982
    It has one of the very first 700R4 transmissions ever built.

4. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

Yeah let us know if you figure it out. Mine turn on when I open the doors, but dont turn on when I turn the switch.

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://loudandproud.coloradok5.com>http://loudandproud.coloradok5.com</A>

5. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

i have the exact opposite problem mine dont turn on when i open the door but do work with the switch. maybe if we put our 2 half assed systems together we can have one whole assed system

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My interior light used to only work with the switch too. The little door switches were corroded. All the door pins do is provide a ground for the interior lights. Try opening the door and then turning the pin or wiggling it. Sometimes that'll be enough to establish a ground for the interior lights. Or you could just replace them. [​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

7. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

hey 82k5, you got 3 interior lights? overhead, in the f/glass top......where else? i have had 3 k5s, and have never seen more than those two (maybe since all them were buildups non e of them worked right).

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

8. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I have one under the dash next to the glove compartment, to light up the floorboard. I think that is the third one they are talking about.

Doug Krebs

9. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

yep, i got 3 interior lights in my k5. one under the glovebox. one in the roof between the the front and back seats and one in the back on the drivers side. the whole interior lights up when i open the door.

Phil from K.C.
    1982 K5 Blazer Silverado
    Built in Flint, Michigan-January 1982
    It has one of the very first 700R4 transmissions ever built.

10. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Had my truck about 8 years ... only 2 lights ... overhead and rear. One day got pissed ... slammed the ash tray and low and behold ... there was light! Under the dash.

Had it since it was new, but never knew about the one under the dash.

11. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

just found the third bundled in wires i chose to ignore under the dash of the 78, the 80 must have had its ripped out.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yall have interior lights? Dang I'm starting to realize what all my blazer actually was missing. Interior Lights, Gauges, Carpet, Headliner. Oh well, except for the gauges(I have idiot lites), it's all just extra weight I guess....what did I expect for $431 cash on a cold midnight??? haha

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

13. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

11 posts and numerous people confused over a switch?! This is sort of the simpleton's approach but the switch is either worn out or very dirty, put some contact cleaner in it or swap it for a new one.

"An old Blazer never dies, they just... rust away."

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Well my problem isn't a worn switch since it's new.....contacts are cleaned when I installed the switch.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

15. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Oh, you have the fun problem on your hands, sounds like a broken wire/connection. The best time to do this is on the weekend because it takes some time. Take off your dash and pop out your instrument cluster to give you the maximum space to work. If you have A/C, there is a vent tube above the pedals that comes out too, it only has a bolt or two just holding it from the metal. Figure out what color wires go to your lights and just search for those colors. We know for a fact that the lihts are getting juice and you have a good switch so a wire connection or ground going from the switch has to be it. There is a Chilton Blazer/Jimmy repair manual for 1969-82 that has wiring diagrams starting on page 6-30, I think they make one for 83-91, good luck :)

"An old Blazer never dies, they just... rust away."<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Blazer_Boy on 12/31/00 07:25 PM (server time).</FONT></P>