Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Interior Lighting issue

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RJB44, Jan 7, 2007.

1. RJB44

RJB44 1/2 ton status

I cannot get the curtsey lights to work inside my 91 Jimmy. I am referring to the light behind the 4 wheel gear shifter as well as the the two upper interior lamps. I checked the fuse and replaced the bulbs. what else could I check.

Thanks
    RJB44

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Checked as in looked or buzzed out? If it's looked, swap it with another one. If it still doesn't work check the wiring.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The door switches are likely culprits. They tend to rust (typically on the backside, which you can't see without pulling them) thus not working.

Not the only potential problem of course, but quite likely. Don't work with the passenger door either I presume?

4. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Cig lighter socket?

5. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

I've had a couple older Chevys with this problem. Just hold the switch in with your thumb, then slide your thumb off to the side and let the pin snap back out. You may have to do it a couple times, but usually it's enough to get the switch to make contact and the lights will come on. If that's the case, you know the wiring is fine and it's the switches that need replaced.

6. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

Do the lights come on when you turn the headlight switch?

7. RJB44

RJB44 1/2 ton status

Light problem

Thanks for the responses. No the lights do not come on when the headlight switch is tured. I have a 1991 Blazer and all the interior lights work. Nothing with the GMC Jimmy.

8. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you need to checkout the headlight switch and see where the power is going. Could be a bad wire or bad switch. One thing you could do is give the power wire for the lights a straight of 12 vdc and see if any lights lite up.