Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

interior lights

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NYC K5, Dec 19, 2000.

1. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

i have an 85 and was wondering if the interior lights should come on when i open the door. they come on when i turn the switch so i know its not the bulbs. what shoul i look at the door strikers? or something else?

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

There is a button like thing on the front side down towards the bottom of the door opening, that may be broke or corrided.

[​IMG]

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes they should come on when you open the door. look at the pin in the door jam if it is sticking replace it they are a couple of dollars at the parts store

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I just replaced both door jamb light switches around a month ago- nothing to it. Use a deep socket(7/16, I think) and back out the switch. It should be hooked to a single wire. If the switch is the problem, disconnect the wire, hook up the new one, and tighten it back in.

One of my switches had a broken spring, and the other had simply become disconnected. I had to pull the disconnected wire through the hole with a 8" piece of 14GA wire bent into a hook at the end.

One hint: Twist the switch 4 times COUNTERclockwise before you tighten it in. This helps to keep stress off the wire- the four turns it takes when you thread it into place leaves the wire without any twist in it.

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Good idea CanmoreK5. Just a bit of information I found out when re-wiring my dash. The pin switches in the doors are just ground wires. The juice goes the the lights and then to the switches so when the door opens, the spring pushes the pin out and completes the circut.

Fencepost eater

6. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I took mine out and have not regreated it once

when I was trying to work on my blazer the light being on all the time just got to me and that bizzing oh man is that anoying

[​IMG]Go prepared

http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com

7. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

james, you could install an override switch. i got the idea from my 96 sub. just a very small toggle switch, "off" and no lights come on, door open or not....."on" and the whole circuit works like normal. it helps not draining the battery when you just want to leave the doors open for no reason. also, this way i hooked up the tailgate to the ciruit too.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

8. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

well my interior lights only work on my passenger door. which is fine by me. i dont like em to come on. dont know why but i just dont.

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

9. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

that cut-out reminds me of back when i had a ninja. i ran from the coppers on occassion, so i wired a switch into my brake lights, and another one into my taillight circuit, so i could disappear into the night. the brake light cut-out works nice when you have to slow down quickly because that cop just pulled in behind you.
    i know i probably won't be running from the man in my blazer, but it's another switch on my dash.

a bit of useless information i found....
    if i turn the dimmer switch to the lowest setting (dash lights off, with the headlights on), the lights-on-with-key-out buzzer stops buzzing.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

10. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Nay Ideas, In my 91 K5 they do not come one when i open the door or when i turn the switch. It is not the bulb or the fuse. Any Ideas?